How wide looks good?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by mrsbumblebee, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Do you like wide rear tires?

Poll closed May 5, 2009.
  1. The best are stock

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. I like max 200 rear tires

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. they must be at least 200 or wider

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. mrsbumblebee

mrsbumblebee Guest

On almost every pic I look I can find them.... bikes with wide rear tires. In my opinion they all look the same and I really don't like them if they are too wide.
    I changed my 160 to a 180 and I think that really looks good but lately a friend of mine put a 280 in his Deuce.... What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Depends on the bike,a custom with a real wide tire looks great,while an ultra would look silly

3. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i ride my bike therefore i have to put tires on it once a year......lol you seen how much those wide tires cost?

4. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

up to a 200 looks great 220 ok above well not for me

5. UglyJohn

UglyJohn Active Member

I like stock. Reason is that those that follow me for the short time they are there, really arn't there for long for I'm usually . . . gone in seconds! With saddle bags, no one can see 'em anyway. The bike seems to handle very well so, I don't really like the cost of the extra wide tires. Just my .02 worth.
    Ugly John

6. Bait

Bait Active Member

I am not into the new custom bike look. I prefer the Bobber Style.

7. zoo-mon

zoo-mon Member

I think the 250 look's great. :D I have one on my newest build. Allthough handleing is deffinetlly compromised. I will stick with a 200 on any more builds i do. I beleive the phat tires look best on hardtails. Thats what i think they are for anyway. So the rider has a lil shock absorbsion.

8. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

If I rode a custom or something I'd probably feel different but I ride a bagger and the stock width works just fine for me.

9. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

If you like "Look at ME!!" style bikes, wide is wide. And the wider they get, the more cartoon-ish they look, to me anyway.

I agree with Hobbit, the wider they get, the worse they handle.

If you're looking at actual ride your bike, something that provides handling, stability and the ability to turn is what I would go with. That may be stock, it may not be.

There not a selection in the poll that I would choose, so I didn't vote.

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Like Hobbit and SledDog wide tires look good, but in practice, they make the bike "standup" in turns and traction wise, the weight of the bike or rather the lack of weight makes wide tire handling tenuous in the twisties. They handle poorly especially for riders using them primarily for city street riding, with wearing tendancy to square the profile making the actual footprint in turns and even traction poorer as time goes on...okay for I guess for straight up drag racing, but then, would you be using street tires on a dragbike anyway?