free website stats program how wide is it? | Harley Davidson Forums

how wide is it?

Can anyone tell me the actual width off a 200 series tire mounted on a 18" x 5.5" rim? I would like to put one on the back of my 07 fxdwg but i need to know if it will fit. If someone has a tire this size mounted could you measure the width for me?

a 160 right now, i was told that each tire size you go up is a 1/4" on each side and right now i have 11/16" of space on one side and 15/16" on the other so if i center the wheel by moving it to the passenger side 1/8" i will have 13/16" on each side and a 200 should be a 1/2" wider on each side so that would leave 5/16" of space on both sides. right now my bike has a 4.5" wide wheel and a 200 takes a 5.5" wheel so i didn't know if it would make it any wider. I called the place to get wheels and they said they put a 200 on a bike like mine, it was tight but it fit if you took off the turn signals.

Be aware that different brands of tires end up as different widths when mounted to the rim. For example, my bike (a 2004 FLHTCSE) has a modified rear end which allows me to run either a Dunlop or an Avon 200. However, when I attempted to mount a 200 Metzeler, it was about 5mm too wide and wouldn't fit. The 180 Metzeler which I now run ended up the same width on the rim as the previous Avon 200 did.

This is where the aspect ratio comes into play. If you notice the numbers on the sidewall, that will tell you the ratio of the height to width of the tire. Some tires like you say will be slightly different even in the same ratio. Don't forget that at speeds that most tires grow a noticable amount so if it is close to the fender or swing arm, you may have a problem at speeds.

Tire Sizing Information - HDTimeline Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

Tire Size Conversion Chart - HDTimeline Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

the measurements i have are from the edges of my current 160 tire to the inside of the fender at the closest point. the swingarm and belt have more room than that. i read somewhere (i forget where i found the info, sorry) that to center the rear wheel you get 1/8" milled off of the brake caliper stand, change the spacers on both sides and put an 1/8" shim behind the pulley for the belt. Inside of the fender measures 9.5" so i was wondering what size tire would fit. I know that tire sizes vary slightly between brands that is why i wanted someone to measure the 200 series tire and 5.5" wide rim that they had so i would know if i got the same brand then it should be the same size. I believe hogpro is where i called and they said that they put a 200 on a bike like mine, i just wanted to make sure it fit before i spend money on it.

the measurements i have are from the edges of my current 160 tire to the inside of the fender at the closest point. the swingarm and belt have more room than that. i read somewhere (i forget where i found the info, sorry) that to center the rear wheel you get 1/8" milled off of the brake caliper stand, change the spacers on both sides and put an 1/8" shim behind the pulley for the belt. Inside of the fender measures 9.5" so i was wondering what size tire would fit. I know that tire sizes vary slightly between brands that is why i wanted someone to measure the 200 series tire and 5.5" wide rim that they had so i would know if i got the same brand then it should be the same size. I believe hogpro is where i called and they said that they put a 200 on a bike like mine, i just wanted to make sure it fit before i spend money on it.

Don't forget to check the recommended rim width for your selected tire by the manufacturer as well, the contact patch may actually be SMALLER with the wider tire because the rim width may be too narrow "pinching" the beads together and pulling up the sidewalls geometry and the handling may cause the bike to want to "standup" while cornering in high speed turns. This is a common reason why performance motorcycles have chassis adjustments as well as wheels and rims paired via extensive testing...after doing all the mechanical fit acrobatics your going through now. :sd

your tires will grow at speeds but not in width, centrifugal force will increase the diameter, evidence this, fuel dragsters, that 13" slick will net about 9" during a burnout

I should have posted that (in height) and not left it to interpretation. :s

Back