free website stats program How wide can you go | Harley Davidson Forums

How wide can you go

RAKKASAN

Hey all, just joined to get some good info on how to care for my bike but now I have a question. I know it has been talked about a lot on here but I don't see the answer I am looking for. I have the 09 FLSTC and it comes with a 150 rear tire. I know I can get a wide tire kit for it and it looks like it will cost a bit but my question is, how wide can I go without doing anything? Isn't a Softail a Softail? I see the Fatboy has a 200 and it looks like they only have a smaller sprocket and different finder, can I do this and put a 200 on mine. Not sure who to ask about this but would love to fatten up my rear tire and give the bike a meaner look. I was told with the finder and rim I can only go 160 but that is not really a change.

thanks

OK. Now mines a Dynaglide. But, consider this. I went from a 160 to a 180 on the rear. My mechanic just showed me that my belt is out of alignment by about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Is it possible that going wider forces the rear wheel sprocket out wider and throws the belt out of allignment?
Just one more thing to consider. Just cause the tire goes on doesn't mean it should.

I understand that if you go with a bigger or wider tire. Switching to a chain can keep alignment right on, and allow a little more room for your fat tire. If you add a swingarm fat tire kit, you may need to offset the primary and tranny to keep your drive in lign.

I am trying to turn my Heritage into a Heritage/Fatboy/Softail Custom, we'll see what happens. Appreciate the replies and will keep all of it in mind.

I am trying to turn my Heritage into a Heritage/Fatboy/Softail Custom, we'll see what happens. Appreciate the replies and will keep all of it in mind.
It would have been easier to buy the fatboy, add bags and change the fenders if you wanted the fat tire.

Yeah I know but it was originally for both me and my wife but she got the itch once we started riding and decided to ride herself, now she owns the 1200L. I am happy she did so now we can ride together but now I want to make the Heritage my own and do some personalizing.

Back