How to Torque Lower Rocker EVO bolts ?

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by BOBFLHTC, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. BOBFLHTC

    BOBFLHTC Active Member

    273
    0
    0
    I am in the process of installing the Lower Rocker covers on my EVO and the engine is in the frame. I have the bolts in finger tight and I am prepared to torque them in a crisscross pattern. There is no way my torque wrench will fit between the frame and some of the bolts. I don't own any Crows foot wrenches and they might take care of some but not all. I jumped in the truck and the two places I stopped at including Sears didn't have any ideas. I am thinking of starting all the bolts finger tight and then counting the turns on the ones I can torque and applying the same number (average if they are different) to the ones I can't torque. I'll mark them all to keep track.

    Is there a better/simpler way and I am just missing it ? Thanks Bob
     
  2. Jack Klarich

    Jack Klarich Expert Member

    18,544
    153
    399
    Try lowering the motor some:s
     
  3. BOBFLHTC

    BOBFLHTC Active Member

    273
    0
    0
    I did lower it to get the rear Rocker cover off but it sounds like I should be able to drop it down somemore. It might at least cut down on the number of ones I am counting turns on. Thanks for the quick response - Bob
     
  4. Breeze3at

    Breeze3at Well-Known Member

    4,644
    83
    124
    I had that problem on my '92. What I did was torque a couple of the accessible bolts just a tiny bit less than spec. Then I put a open or box end on that bolt and carefully pulled until it just moved. Then I went to the inaccessable one and tried to duplicate that "feel" while it was still fresh. I don't know if it was accurate or not, but the rockers didn't leak for a couple of years. That's how I did the rear rocker box covers also.
     
  5. mrtn681

    mrtn681 Active Member

    117
    16
    0
    I have done this a coupple of times and ain't found a good way yet.
     
  6. BOBFLHTC

    BOBFLHTC Active Member

    273
    0
    0
    I torqued all the ones I could get to. That left one in the front and 5 in the back. I did it in 5lb increments until I had 10lb for the 1/4 and 15lb for the 5/16. At each 5lb increment I used my Armstrong torque wrench :s for the ones I couldn't use my regular torque wrench on. I was just wondering if there was something obvious I was missing. Thanks for the input - Bob
     
  7. nwbikerid

    nwbikerid Member

    26
    0
    0
    Last winter I did a topend on my 93 fatboy, had the same issue, just torqued all the ones I could and then guesstimated with a wrench as previously suggested, I've got about 1500 miles on the engine so far and don't have any issues with it, leaks, etc.