free website stats program How to tell if oil is Synthetic or Dyno | Harley Davidson Forums

How to tell if oil is Synthetic or Dyno

Hi , I own a 2001 Harley FXD Super Glide, I want to do a oil change but I don't know if the bike has used synthetic or dino oil. Is their a cheap way to tell if the oil I drain out is synthetic or dino?........Thanks in advance:)

Hi , I own a 2001 Harley FXD Super Glide, I want to do a oil change but I don't know if the bike has used synthetic or dino oil. Is their a cheap way to tell if the oil I drain out is synthetic or dino?........Thanks in advance:)

That is a very good question, Synthetic oil pours easier than dino when it is cold, and it should appear to be a wee bit more slippery on your dip stick JMO

I've always noticed even with a lot of miles on it It looks cleaner/not as dirty when drained out. JMO.

Other than satisfying your curiosity, it does not matter. Synthetic and regular oils can be mixed. Drain the old out, and put in what you intend to use in the future.

Other than satisfying your curiosity, it does not matter. Synthetic and regular oils can be mixed. Drain the old out, and put in what you intend to use in the future.

I second that Breeze. Spent oil is spent oil and short of a scientific oil test I do not belive you can tell.........

If you take a sample of the oil that is in the bike and a sample of a known synthetic oil and put them both in the freezer in equal quantities , the synthetic oil will pour better than the dino oil after they have been in there for a while. Other than that, you could have someplace like Blackstone labs do an analysis of the oil in the bike.

Synthetic tends to have an orange tinge to it, dino oil doesn't. I can see it with a little on my finger, but a white paper towel might work better. Good luck

Toby

I agree with Jack and Jeff. Breeze as well. Unless you have a motor that is really old or has a BUNCH of miles on it, you will not readily be able to tell. Just use a recommended grade of oil and change it on a regular schedule. Use the same type and brand each time and ride happy.

I agree with Jack and Jeff. Breeze as well. Unless you have a motor that is really old or has a BUNCH of miles on it, you will not readily be able to tell. Just use a recommended grade of oil and change it on a regular schedule. Use the same type and brand each time and ride happy.

I had to do a double take when I read that as I've never heard that recommendation before. I've used Mobil 1, Spectro, and Amsoil in my bike's engine and had zero issues with switching among brands.

I had to do a double take when I read that as I've never heard that recommendation before. I've used Mobil 1, Spectro, and Amsoil in my bike's engine and had zero issues with switching among brands.

Just an old wrench head I guess. I was always told to stay with a brand I liked and not to switch. I still do. Been using AMSOIL in all my motors for 2+ years now.

Back