free website stats program how to take tranny out? | Harley Davidson Forums

how to take tranny out?

Dman55

my bike was recently in an accident and the shift linkage is off of the spline coming out of the tranny and the spline seems to be broken. my question is does anybody know where i can get a schematic for the primary assembly or how to get the tranny out to check it out? the bike is a 99 special construction softail with an S&S big twin, a 5 speed tranny, and a standard chain primary. at harley they usually look in the book for a heritage softail for parts since its not a specific bike if that helps. and if i cant get a diagram online can anyone tell me which repair manual would be closest to my bike that i should buy? i greatly appreciate your help in advance.

I think any service manual for any up to '99 softail will work for you. I built from the ground up custom chopper a couple of years back with an EVO drive train and I used a Clymer '84-'99 softail manual, it had everything I needed in it.:s
Good luck!

are you sure my motor is an evo? ive heard before that is is not because it is "too old". im not sure how true this is. and thank you for both of your replies it is greatly appreciated.

Your motor is not an evo as they are made by harley davidson your motor as you have stated is an s&s big twin although it could be very similar to the evo engine it is more than likely that your primary and gearbox are hd evo or similar so the nearest to what you need would be and evo softail manual as the harley manuals are for specific model years the clymer manual may be a good idea as it covers a number of different year models of that type

Brian

Fin is correct. We are kinda getting into semantics here. Your engine is an S&S
Evo "clone". Made by S&S, but many parts are interchangeable with HD.
Att. are pictures of Evo and Twincam engines. The main identifier differences are the cone cover, and rocker box covers. Then cylinder difference and push rod angles.
evolutionengine1.jpg
[/IMG]
twincam88engine.jpg
[/IMG]

my bike was recently in an accident and the shift linkage is off of the spline coming out of the tranny and the spline seems to be broken. my question is does anybody know where i can get a schematic for the primary assembly or how to get the tranny out to check it out? the bike is a 99 special construction softail with an S&S big twin, a 5 speed tranny, and a standard chain primary. at harley they usually look in the book for a heritage softail for parts since its not a specific bike if that helps. and if i cant get a diagram online can anyone tell me which repair manual would be closest to my bike that i should buy? i greatly appreciate your help in advance.

Harley Davidson Community does this apply?

Back