free website stats program How to: Rid "face air" , using deflection on 09 flhr | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How to: Rid "face air" , using deflection on 09 flhr

On my 89 FLHTCU with no lower's my knee's were bent 90 degree's and I didn't get the wind up the leg's like I get on my 04 FLHTCU with no lower's. But the 04 I sit back about 4" more and down about 3"to 4" so my knee's are about 45 degree's and the wind seem's to follow up my leg's like Smitty said.I think lower's hard or soft would stop the wind from blowing your beard up in your face. Or you could try sitting on the gas tank.:D

I don't have a problem with the air / wind in my face on either of my bikes, part of why i ride. When it is cold out, 40 or lower, I use a face mask folded down covering my chin / neck area, works for me. But a friend complained about the wind while he rode his RK and tried the deflectors on the forks and thought they helped some, but the best thing that helped him was trading it in for a Ultra Classic, seems to be happy now.

Try putting your feet more forward. I put my feet out beyond my controls and rest my ankles on my pegs... It straightens out my legs and the wind lowers out of my face and hits me in the leather jacket. Its much more comfortable for me, mabye try forward controls?
On cold mornings i tie a bandanna around my face. It worked for the cowboys.

I have all the wind diverters, fork, triple tree, soft lowers, and what I found to be the best for what you are describing is take the windshield off and get a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. Love it. You can get a neck gaiter or mask for really cold days. I also have Carhartt's arctic bibs...they are warm. I use heated gloves and socks.

Thorns

have a set of "desert dawg" soft lowers. work well and can be left on year round, unlike the h-d brand, and i live in s e texas. they divert the air flow onto the engine, assisting in cooling engine on hot days. helps keep the engine heat down in summer and adds some warmth in winter to rider area.

Actually, the "inexpensive" but sure cure is the Full Fase Helmet for cold weather and wind aerodynamics. While not as popular amongst HD riders, it does offers the rider more wind buffeting protection and isolation but loose the wind in your face to one that can only describe as a "cone of silence". A well fitted properly ventilated one can even make motorcycling at higher speeds feel "safer" as most sportriders know like when going down a technical twisty road in the "zone" becomes more like a tunnel of focus at 8/10ths pace or more.

Back