free website stats program How to restore chrome look to front head pipe? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to restore chrome look to front head pipe?

digs_harleys

I have an 05 RKC. The front head pipe (exhaust), first 5-6 inches from the head has turned gold in color. tI suspect his happened 2 yrs ago on a very hot/humid day on a long run, some of it was city, it did backfire a little on that day also. I am no mechanic by any stretch. The shop I take it to replaced the o-ring gaskets by the fuel injectors becuase they were in bad shape and might have had something to do with it runing a lil hot. The mapping was re-checked and I'm told OK. Before purchase, the bike sat for three years in an unheated airport hangar in Michigan, (only had 1,500 miles on it at purchase). It has a Power Commander, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and as far as we can tell Boom-Can Slash-up slip-ons. It is running good now, never backfires only that one day on decel and the browning has not increased in color or length. How can I remove that gold color from the exhaust?

Thanks Hobbit!! Gold/Straw is exactly the color! I guess I'll live with it. This site is great, especially for a novice like me.

Thank you Glider!! I was concerned about that too. I will order the shield. I will have to live with the gold/straw color close to the head. Don't want to make things worse. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glider,

My brand new Cycle Shack pipes discolored (first 5-6 inches from the head) after I picked up my bike and drove 25 miles. Is this normal, please let me know what you think?

Digs_Harleys,

I grew up in Waterford/Pontiac, where are you located and what airport are you talking about?

Glider,

My brand new Cycle Shack pipes discolored (first 5-6 inches from the head) after I picked up my bike and drove 25 miles. Is this normal, please let me know what you think?

Pretty much all pipes discolor rather fast from new with the exception of a double walled pipe or an exhaust that has been ceramic coated inside.

Not much other you can do to stop it other than heat shields.

I used this stuff called Blue Job on my old sporty with drag pipes and it helped quite a bit. Took away a lot of the discoloration. Not all but a significant differance.

I just decided to like mine that way... It shows that it's not a trailer queen! If they ever get really bad I'll just pipe-tape that part. Like the song... "Roll with it baby!"

I'm with you Jim. Unless it indicates something amiss, I really don't mind the discoloration. It's just a sign of maturity and good times gone by. Rock on!
Ishmael

Another option is to get them ceramic coated - did this to my stock exhaust (now sold) for $160 and it not only helped a bit w/heat - looked good too...

Back