free website stats program How to remove V&H's Heat shields? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to remove V&H's Heat shields?

R_W_B

2007 Street Bob Dyna.
I'm removing my black heat shields on V&Hs Big Shots Staggered. I have the front cylinder heat shield off. The rear is another story. Do you have to remove the entire pipe to get this shield off ?

Evidently this ain't done that often.

On another forum I got one reply, said he had done it on newer model WG and didn't have any problems.

I definitely have problems. I took off ALL the shield clamps. Completely off, they are laying on the floor.

The front cylinder shield I slid back as far as it would go but it hit the Head fins so I had to move it a tad forward and muscle it out from the head fins. I literally flexed the shield and drug it across the head fins till it came out far enough to slide back.

The rear shield no matter where I try to position it, it will not come out past the header pipe far enough to slide back. It's not even hitting the head yet, it just won't come out far enough. The rear shield encasement that slides over the end of the pipes comes up so far it binds and won't let the shield rotate out. I get it close to clearing over the pipe but just won't go no further. Even tried beating it with a rubber mallet.

Guess I'm gonna have to pull the pipes, although seems the same area at the rear is gonna bind even with the pipes off.

I got another hit on another forum said I should take off the shield end cap. So tomorrow I will try taking off the end cap but can't really see what it would do since all the binding is up where the actual exhaust pipe is still against the shield encasement. (bout 4 inches up the shield from the end cap)

Maybe tomorrow I will have better luck. It's been a manure of a day (pun intended) since my septic tank pump quit on us bout 1:30 this afternoon (while I was removing the shield) . I popped the lid and sure enough it's full and the pump ain't coming on. Got a crew coming tomorrow to pump out the tank and install a new pump. Had to take a shower at the neighbors.

Where's that guitar playun SEPTIC TANK MAN, I could use him right now !

R_W_B sorry to hear you are having one of those days. Hang in there, tomorrow is sure to be better...........

Are you able to flex shield more open or flat to clear what is holding you up?????

I got another hit on another forum said I should take off the shield end cap. So tomorrow I will try taking off the end cap but can't really see what it would do since all the binding is up where the actual exhaust pipe is still against the shield encasement. (bout 4 inches up the shield from the end cap)

Maybe tomorrow I will have better luck. It's been a manure of a day (pun intended) since my septic tank pump quit on us bout 1:30 this afternoon (while I was removing the shield) . I popped the lid and sure enough it's full and the pump ain't coming on. Got a crew coming tomorrow to pump out the tank and install a new pump. Had to take a shower at the neighbors.

Where's that guitar playun SEPTIC TANK MAN, I could use him right now !

Wow, what a day..it's going to get better, have a cold one and relax!:cheers: Cheers to ya!!

Update remove V&H's Heat shields?

Well I got the Septic tank all done bout 2:30 pm today, required new pump and had to have both my effluent tanks and my pump tank pumped out. They had not been pumped in 12 yrs (when the original pump was installed) so I'm told I got good life out of both. The cost of pumping tanks has gone up in our area due to environmental regulations, they can't just dispose of it anymore in citrus groves like they used to. They have to pay to get it treated first.

Anyhow long story short I can shower, use toilet etc now but it took all my saved up bike mod money. But hey that's life on planet earth. Tell you what though I brought the guy cokes etc but all the while I sat there and watched every single thing he did and how he hooked up all the float switches so if I ever have another pump failure and can go buy the pump myself for $200 and put it in for zero labor costs.

Only two problems with that, by the time this pump probably fails I will be too old to get down and do that kind of stuff. And of course you have to pay to pump the tank out anyhow to get to the pump. So it's money no matter how you do it.

As for the heat shield removal I got that solved too. I took off the end cap like this guy told me and all the while I'm thinking this ain't gonna make no difference but when it came loose I could see even though it's only bout 3/4 inch long on the outside, it goes inside a good 2 inches. Not enough to get to the binding area BUT it did widen the available diameter of the encassed end just enough to allow me to manuver the shield between two head fins and get the bugger off there.

I then removed the stock baffles, which are nothing more than an open ended cylinder bout a foot long of spiraled perforations. The nuts on them were frozen with soot but some PB Blaster got them loose. Then I installed one of the V&H's quiet baffles which are kinda like little mini glass packs. The outside of the one end comes wrapped with sheet fiberglass and only one piece of clear tape. So I scotch taped mine quite a bit more especially where they first start to slide in the pipes so as not to tear or damage the fiberglass matting. I surmise the tape will melt or burn off with use, it's just for installation.

Got the one quiet baffle in and was soaking wet with sweat and it was 3:30pm so I just quit and came inside for a cool shower. Tomorrow I have other chores to do but gonna try to put the other quiet baffle in (gota go buy more scotch tape). I'm thinking bout painting my black heat shields with the Harley wrinkle black while I have them off.

Anybody ever done this ?
I would think all I need to do is light sand the shields first and just paint them ?

(oh and by the way this guy don't stand on the tank and sing like TANK does. Was really disappointed in that :lolrolling)

Back