free website stats program How to remove the key housing | Harley Davidson Forums

How to remove the key housing

67wizard

How to remove the key housing from a 2010 UC.
Some place on the this site there were some pictures of how to remove the key housing and pictures of some flat copper tubing use to turn the insides
of the housing. I can't find it now . Please help.

Thanks

Thats the one STEVE07. I am hoping I can get to the handle bars this way.
I would like to raise them up alittle higher.

Thanks
Wizard

I have had it out and put it back in just as a trial thing. No trouble so far. Now it I can get to the handle bar bolts to loosen them and raise them some then its mission accomplished.

Once you have the key housing out, you will need to remove the lock washer/thin nut off of the threaded portion of the housing unit. It is low torque, remove it then the rest of the housing. There are 2 screws on each side of the black switch housing that you will have to remove the you should be able to get to the two lower handle bar pinch bolts.
Had to do mine, purchased bike from dealer which was 3 1/2 hrs away from home. Hit a bump on the way home on the day of purchase, handle bars almost fell to the tank!!!... was almost home and was not about to turn around to go back to the dealer, so did it my self after calling the service dept for help.

67wizard; also good time to put a service manual on your shopping list...XMas is right around the corner...;-) Use mine pretty much 2-3 times a week for torque values, part remocal/install, etc. One of the best $60 I spent on the bike!

I have a book but couldn't find what I was looking for. After looking and looking I found it on pages 7-50 and 7-51. I was also looking for the video and the tool that the guy made to lock and unlock the forks. Mission completed with the help from you guys and the book.
Thanks

Help ful hint. When changing the position of the handle bars on an UC. After you remove the key switch housing and the panel that holds the switches for the spots,speakers,cruise, and aux. I ground down an old 1/4 in allen down to about 1/2 long on the short end. Then it slides under the radio with no trouble. Slip in allen loosen bolts raise or lower bars. Thighten bolts reassembleand your done. But with all the knowledge floating around here you guys have probably thought of this already. Just my 2 cents.

I just replaced the inner fairing and it was a pretty simple task. The youtube video was the most helpful and the home made tool was easy to make out of a scrape piece of ice maker line. Follow the manual and the video and you will be just fine.

Thanks guys for the video!! Did mine today (chasing electrical issues) and worked without a hitch...:D

Back