free website stats program How to remove oil stains from rocker cover leak? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to remove oil stains from rocker cover leak?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
I had a rocker cover leak that has been taken care of, but when they fixed the leak they didn't clean the oil stains on the fins on the motor. How do I get this baked on oil off my motor? It looks terrible!

Hi Dave, not an answer to your question, but annother question? Are you the same DaveinPA over at the Leatherwall?
Kevin
PS maybe try S-100

Dave

I'm assuming that you have a silver motor otherwise you wouldn't see the stains to well. The silver motors are painted and not powder coated like the black ones so you have to be careful of what you use. I have a full spray can of the silver touch up paint from HD that is a last resort if you are interested. (#98606BY)
In past years I have used a mag wheel cleaner on the silver cases of an older bike before the days of paint and it made the engine look new again. It was wheel bright and was a red acid like liquid that foams when applied and gets rinsed off with a hose. Worked fantastic on the bare cases of that time. You may try another mag wheel cleaner of today in a small spot to see the results before spraying it on. Just be careful of other aluminum parts as it will react on the surfaces.

In your case try a Q tip with some paint thinner to see if it would do the job for you. If you want to try something less caustic, maybe try some S100 cycle wash or even a q tip with carb cleaner and if it turns silver on the q tip, then it's painted.

Back