how to remove baffles on rk?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ron1978, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

how do i remove baffles without ruining them??
    pipes been on bike for 20,000 miles, their the v&h dresser duals, i see 2 screws on each pipes, i removed them but i can't move the baffle at all? whats the trick??

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Best bet is to remove the muffler and coax them out from the front so you don't damage anything.

You could also start the engine with the screws removed and warm them up a bit and they may come out easier or on their own.

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Usually i use a DENT style puller with a weighted handle on the shaft (back pounder) and using a Home made "J" shaped finger on the shaft threaded end to grab beyond the baffle insides.... a little tapping on the rod and "J" pulling will loosen the baffle and it should come right out..

Or Make a tool,,,, LONG threaded end shaft 5/8 or 3/4 threaded end... make a angle iron 1/4 1x1 and drill one side to fit angle on shaft,,, double nut it and use as the Finger inside baffle (modify finger as needed)..... You can grab the shaft back inside far enough and with clamp pliers (old ones) hammer on them enough to get baffle Loose..

Careful when you put baffles back in and align them to the same muffler and in the same position so as the screws will align..

If not aligned when you put them back on,,,might have to pull off enough to turn them and HOPE..

Hope I did Okay for you! :newsmile040:

signed....BUBBIE

Glider, You are so down to earth...... Your post wasn't even there Yet.... Took me forever

4. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Glider's way IS easier,,,,, I used My method when i didn't want to remove the Python 3's I had.. You saying mufflers,,, It would be Just as easy to Tap them out from the front like YOU Know said..:newsmile100:

signed....PorkChop BUBBIE:D

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Isn't that the same "J" you use for turning the pork chops?

[​IMG]

6. FIREDOG239

FIREDOG239 Active Member

Glad to see the wise one back on here, it made my day.:D:D:D

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

AH Heck,

He's Never been gone,,, Just been Monkeying Around.. and :Banane39:

signed....BUBBIE

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

A slide Hammer Bubbie?