free website stats program How to properly attach new battery cables | Harley Davidson Forums

How to properly attach new battery cables

BOBFLHTC

I took my battery down for testing and decided to take home a new one. Unfortunately I didn't mark the battery case as to positive and negative. Going forward I'll label it. I am also replacing the cables as they are 25 years old. I'm pretty sure the Negative battery terminal/cable attaches to the rear of the Primary case and the Positive terminal/cable attaches to the solenoid. Sorry for the dumb question but electricity is not my strong point. Thanks - Bob

I'm pretty sure the Negative battery terminal/cable attaches to the rear of the Primary case and the Positive terminal/cable attaches to the solenoid. Sorry for the dumb question but electricity is not my strong point. Thanks - Bob

You have it right . make sure to clean the mating surfaces well before attaching the new cables.

Thanks for the quick response and the tip. I have some Dilectic grease too. I'm sure if I got it wrong it would cost me money. I think I'll mark that battery box before I forget. Thanks again - Bob

I took my battery down for testing and decided to take home a new one. Unfortunately I didn't mark the battery case as to positive and negative. Going forward I'll label it. I am also replacing the cables as they are 25 years old. I'm pretty sure the Negative battery terminal/cable attaches to the rear of the Primary case and the Positive terminal/cable attaches to the solenoid. Sorry for the dumb question but electricity is not my strong point. Thanks - Bob

Have you already removed the existing cables? If not, then just trace those and replace each with the new one.

Yes, the Negative cable (black ends) will go to one of the fastener that mounts the starter. The Positive cable (red ends - hopefully) mounts to the large post on the Starter Solonoid. There may be a number of smaller gauge wires that attach to the Positive (hopefully red ends) and Negative (hopefully black ends) terminals depending on what "extra" stuff you have on the bike. Since you have everything accessible, now is the time to add your Battery Tender Jr. leads.

TQ

Hi TQ
What was throwing me off was whether the Positive terminal on the battery was facing towards the front of the bike or the back. I was pretty sure I had it right but the price was getting it wrong was too high. I did look at the wiring schematic. I marked the battery box with a felt tip for future reference. I did attach the Battery Tender JR. It started and no sparks. Thanks again - Bob

I seem to be dislexic when it comes to battery pos. / neg. I use red paint or nail polish in several places on the positive side of the battery, cables, accessory wires, etc. Just to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Try some dilectric grease on the connections on the starter too they are exposed to the elements all the time and will add to make the connection water proof:s

Just a tip for future battery removal: I put a nut on both battery screws just to keep on my positive and negative together in a bundle. My negative faces right (Throttle side) and positive faces left (clutch side).
Glad you got it correct and it fired up no problems.

Back