free website stats program How to install new grips? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to install new grips?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
I'd like to get the Willie G. Skull grips for my bike. However, I have absolutely not idea how to remove the stock grips or install the new ones. Anyone have any pointers?

throttle should come with the throttle tube attached - do not loose the little brass ferrules that hold the cables in place or you will be hunting for weeks on the floor looking for them :D
you will need to release some cable to allow you to remove the grip so you can get the ferrules out.
Undo the switch housing and remove the ferrules and slide the grip off replace with new grip put cables in put the switch housing back together ensure free rotation of the grip.
now over to the other side, remove the grip you may have to cut this off as its glued in place, get some fine sand paper and sand the remaining glue from the bar.
Get your hands on some extra firm hold hair spray, spray inside the grip and slide it on, leave for at least 12hrs to dry voila grip is held in place and is removable if needed with out cutting it off
My new grips came with glue to hold them on. Hobbit is right about those little brass ferrules. Just one more pointer, 2:30 a.m. the night before a scheduled ride is not the time to change grips.

I just replace mine with one without glue, the left grip is held by the switch housing just like on the right grip, be careful on that little brake light switch on the right grip, I've found that replacing the right side is easier than the left side with glue on it, when reinstall the grips, pay lots of attention on those wire harness and make sure they don't get pinched, if your brake light and turn signal lights doesn't work after the grips installed, check your fuse and recheck your installation for pinched/shorted wires, don't ask me how I know it. lol.

Ditto on the hairspray....:s Used it for years on the bicycles, it really works when given the proper drying time. Also, ditto what Searider says, there is a little 'button' type switch for the brake lights that is very delicate.....learned that on the hubby's bike. :s It isn't that hard & if you are really careful, you can get the old grip off & reuse it. We put the kuryakyn ISO grips on my bike because I didn't like the fat grips that were on there, he did, so my old ones are now on his electra glide, have worked great for 3 years.

No problem at all. I put those grips on mine left side no problem. Now right grip glad i had manuel just make sure you take your time make sure cables are back on ramp. And be real careful of little brake button near lever its real tiny and will snap.

And be real careful of little brake button near lever its real tiny and will snap.

The solution there so you don't break it....
switchhousingspacer.jpg

Back