free website stats program How to hard wire GPS power | Harley Davidson Forums

How to hard wire GPS power

burchis

Need to know where is the best place to connect my GPS power supply wires to.

Should I connect directly to the battery post, or is there an accessory connection point somewhere on my 2006 Heritage Softail?

Thanks for any input

I'm not sure about a softail but the touring bikes have an unused switched power wire and ground behind the headlight. Also an accessory plug under the seat. You can hook the GPS directly to the battery, but I have mine switched to the ignition and I don't have to remember to turn it off, when I stop. If you search around this and other forums, you may get a more specific answer. I know this has been asked a lot of times.

Silly me, I figured it out on my own, since at that time I hadn't read on the forums much.
:USA

HD dealer has the cigar/acc outlet w/ protective cover for their touring bikes. There is a "Y" cord accessory adapter also at your friendly neighborhood HD dealer.

It allows you to connect without splicing into your 4 pin acc cord (it is one that is buried near your battery ) not the one in plain sight which is a diagnostic plug. There is a thread by our illustrious BigLew Glider can be found in search or self help tabs under Electrical at top if you prefer to use spade lug, crimp type (add a bead of solder, use heatshrink, RTV and Dielectric grease to minimize water intrusion/corrosion). :D

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/13404-wiring_a_gps.html

A good place is to connect it to the rear tail light power. That way it is fused and will turn off with the ignition. You can use the plastic "splicer" that typically comes with a motorcycle GPS. Check the wiring diagram in the service manual for the right color in the harness. (It's blue on an '09 RK for whatever that is worth...probably nothing!)

In my opininion, you want it to be fused and turn off with the ignition.

I'm afraid, when it comes to things electric, as I can't see what's going on it's a little akin to magic.
I would like to wire my GPS on my 07 Sporty without the use of a bulky cigar lighter type of socket.
I believe that the socket 1 under the seat shown on the attach picture is some sort of a power outlet. I don't seem to find it on the wiring diagram. Also. if it is a power supply, there is only a single wire going into it; am I supposed to take the ground from the frame or body of the bike?
Can it be used to power the Sat Nav?
While chatting about things electrical what is the multi pins socket 2 with a cover? Diagnostics maybe.

Attachments

• Socketsweb.jpg
    Socketsweb.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 53
Back