free website stats program How to get financed? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How to get financed?

Might be helpful if you can find a co-signer, most banks/credit unions will be more willing to give you the money when it's backed by someone with good credit.

H D finance is not the way to go here IMO, They are Very picky, Agree with my brother Jeff, co signer you will still build credit. Good Luck

Wildey have you thought about saving up just for awhile to get a larger down payment. That way you pay yourself first and with a larger down pmt, and the banks will be taking less of a risk with you. If you can afford to pay $1000 a month, it would not take that long to get a larger down payment. I'm not bankrupt but there is no way I could afford to pay that much a month right now. That's a sizeable pmt, save it for awhile and see what happens.

BTW, Traverse City, Michigan, do you know a Dave Draper lives up there ? He used to live down here back in 2000, I worked on a crew with him. He moved back up there and I remember him sayin he either lived or worked in Traverse City. Last I talked with him email back in 2008, he told me that area up there was as hard pressed to find jobs as it was starting to get here bout that time.

I can say that harley finance would not finance 3 thousand of a 8 thousand bike for me and I never ever filed bankruptcy. they are very picky.

=================================================

buy an oldie but a goodie like I have done , well its old and i don't know how good yet but hey its paid for.

=================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to say if you run right out and buy another bike that would be a big mistake. The insurance rates would be escalated as would any interest rate you might get. This would put you on the same track you just came out of (overspending for something you really don't need). You need to show yourselves that you can remain financially stable by learning how to save and to budget your money. I suggest waiting, many of us on the forum went without bikes while we raised a family,worked hard and became solvent. It would also show any bank or any other lender that you now know that you are serious about your situation. Also nothing beats walking in to any dealer with cash! remember cash is king! Just my opinion.

Lots of good advice to consider. Renting or buying a low cost metric to get you through the urges is the best advice. I am 45, three grown kids and a 3 yoa foster/adopting...I stuck to a 83 GW for 15 years until we were more than stable to go to a newer bike. Not suggesting you do it this way, but I got mine with a Refinance/cash out on our home at a very low interest rate (we will be buying another home next year and wanted to get a good rate for a good cash down payment before the rates go back up). I budgeted for a used 08 Softail, paid cash and it is technically a tax deductable expense as it is off of a home equity refinance...but I would never have done this coming off of a big financial tragedy. You will not get a square deal from any lender (other than a family member) as you have recently come off of bankruptcy so expect very high interest if you are even considered. Might be able to go around the back door and get a general purpose loan, but still no matter what, you will get hosed on interest no matter which way you go. by the way, the money I have sitting in savings from my refinance is earning .5% and I am paying 4.24% on the refinance, so even still, not a good thing. (Was supposed to move this year but guy they hired to fill my spot punked out and now put us behind a year) Money saved is money earned, wait till you can pay cash for what you want or at least 70% of it. Dealers do like big wads of cash...:newsmile093:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...it's all great advice so now it's up to OP to make the choice. Remember to seaprate the "wants from needs" in your case b/c you don't want another financial fallback. Good luck!

Were you required to get financial counseling. If not I suggest you do. It will last you a lifetime. You can get it from your bank and they will take notice of this. This will help you down the road when you do apply for a loan. Only trying to help.

I have never heard of anyone getting lower then a 9.99% interest rate from HD. If you can go with a credit union loan.

Back