free website stats program How to change rear shoes? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to change rear shoes?

tucks

can someone help amd tell me how to change rear shoes on my suzuki vl 125?i know its not a harley but i cant find any where else that will be able to help thankyou

Tucks, its all good, my initial answer was get a "Real V-Twin" but, then I had a Suzuki Katana...who am I to say what to ride...others here on the HDTimeline forum have a variety of different rides as well and quite honestly...our two wheel sport does cover a pretty broad area.

Shop manuals are of course a must, but the key here is be methodical, take pictures and DO NOT use petroleum based solvents on or around brakes. Use only clear water over rags to initially & final rinse the area and non-chlorinated BrakeKleen in controlled areas only (try not to get anything on the new pads) and you'll be fine. Smaller versions of old automotive drum brake tools are also handy to remove springs and stuff without drama.

???? HDTimeline ???? HD = Harley Davidson... I guess the best way would be to buy yourself a Harley my boy... Go get yerself a real murdersickle and then come back.... No offense intended, just foolin' around on turkey day, have a good one.
:small3d031:

if that was the answer everyone put here then there would be no need for this forum thankyou for the other answer and the link

Tucks, ya gotta understand. Us Harley boys here, talk about Harley's on HD Talking....
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got a harley fatboy this is my work bike i thought someone might be able to help obviously not just cos its not a harley

I know this is not what you want to hear but it was Cheap & it worked for me while working on my metric. For $12 on E-bay I was able to purchase a complete Factory service manual in PDF form. In less than 15 minutes I paid with PayPal and download the Factory Manual in PDF for 12 bucks. Just type in service manual and model of your bike.
But without seeing your bike here we go. Remove the rear brake fluid reservoir cap. Take a C-clamp and place it across the caliper. Start to screw in the C-clamp in order to push back the brake pads. Remove the 2 pins or screws that hold on the caliper. Remove the caliper assembly. Crosshatch the rotor with some 180 Wet/Dry. Clean rotor with brake clean. Spray some shoebacking red spray on back of the pads. Let them tack up. Clean the caliper piston area & check for seal leaks. Install the shoes into the calipers. Be sure new shoes are chamfered. Place the caliper/shoe assembly over the cleaned rotor. Torque pins or mounting bolts. Activate rear shoes several times to push fluid back in system. Check level, replace reservoir cap.

Hoop has you covered...just remember to use clear water only as some solvents (even BrakeKleen can embed a bit of residue left over which could make the new shoes not bed properly). Lightly sandpaper both the shoes and inside drum friction surface with crosshatch (I use wet/dry sandpaper). Clymer manuals are okay for metrics, but the factory ones are not much more. Also use very sparingly high temp lube on the pivot pins and wheel bearings while your at it.

Back