free website stats program how to change base gaskets | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

how to change base gaskets

Nothing difficult to it, but several "specific" procedures like head torque sequence, etc. I always put my pistons at the top of stroke, then "walk" the rocker shaft bolts off a little at a time to keep from binding anything. Then I put pistons at the bottom of stroke to prevent any accidental side load. When reassembling, I put the intake manifold on before tightening the heads to help align the ports and manifold. There are many tips in the engine section of the self help tap at the top left of page.

thanks to everyone. actually very excited to tackle this project! how critical is it to have the jugs checked for flatness? I am near positive the biggest issue was lack of warm up time causing the gaskets to go. as for the allen, is cutting one down good enough or does said bolt need torqued? I will wait till after the 1st to start. (new years party and dont want stuff messed with) Thanks again!

said heck with it and got the allen from motion pro on the way! I have a ft pound torque wrench but only goes to 30# or more. so should I get a smaller one or go with inch pounds?

still waiting for my parts to come back.....

good tip about the manifold!

I got a stock top end gasket set from Tri County for 75 delivered, the shop working on my parts likes the HD gaskets so I went with those.

got myself a inch pound torque wrench, all gaskets, and the harley shop manual . After reading the manual this looks like a cake walk job! So it would seem that after removing the push rods, as long as they go back in the same exact way they were removed, no timing is involved? I am usually doing head gaskets on cars, etc. where you have to be sure to have the chain in time, but because I am not going into the lower end I have no worry there, correct? getting excited to start this job!

It is not a difficult job if you have experience on stripping engines and as you say pretty easy as no overhead cam to time however some of the bolts are not easy to get the tool on to so you may have to do a wee modification to a tool here and there

Brian

I cut an old allen wrench down to get between the rockerbox and the frame. Mark the push rods for where they come from as they are all different legths.:s

Me too. Much cheaper to cut down an old allen wrench. I used a ratchet wrench to make it go quick too.

Ryno

got myself a inch pound torque wrench, all gaskets, and the harley shop manual . After reading the manual this looks like a cake walk job! So it would seem that after removing the push rods, as long as they go back in the same exact way they were removed, no timing is involved? I am usually doing head gaskets on cars, etc. where you have to be sure to have the chain in time, but because I am not going into the lower end I have no worry there, correct? getting excited to start this job!

Gasket surfaces cleaned and prepped, oil under the head bolts and you are good to go, You did check the case studs RIGHT?:s

Back