free website stats program how to change base gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

how to change base gaskets

I have never torn apart a Harley motor, but many cars and other bikes. My 94 evo needs base gaskets. I will get the Harley shop manual, and have heard a motion pro allen wrench will help. (any part numbers?) what all should I know and how hard is this job? I have yet to find a step by step forum!! thanks for any help!

Motion Pro - Rocker Box Wrench 3/16 Har Dav here is the link to the tool, cover the lower end so gasket material does not get in, do an oil change when done. I like to use Permatex gasket remover, it makes the gaskets a lot easier to scrape, easy does it so you dont gouge the base

I cut an old allen wrench down to get between the rockerbox and the frame. Mark the push rods for where they come from as they are all different legths.:s

I like to use Permatex gasket remover, it makes the gaskets a lot easier to scrape, easy does it so you dont gouge the base

Jack,
Does that Permatex gasket remover really work? I always wanted to buy a can of it to try out but never have. Does the smell of the spray smell like carb cleaner or anything common to what you would find in a repair shop.

Jack,
Does that Permatex gasket remover really work? I always wanted to buy a can of it to try out but never have. Does the smell of the spray smell like carb cleaner or anything common to what you would find in a repair shop.

Yep, Hoople, it does work quite well, dont get it on your hands it burns, kind of a smell between carb cleaner and acetone, it comes in spray can and one with a brush applicator, you may need to spray it on a couple of times when it starts to bubble its time to scrape, Jack:s

Once you get the service manual you will be able to read through the various pages to work out what you need to do there is nothing complex to replacing the base gaskets
you will need a torque wrench for reassembly just read the manual and take your time
the only difficult part is getting the old gasket off it can take a wee while to coax it away without damaging the the area so just take care

Brian

Yep, Hoople, it does work quite well, dont get it on your hands it burns, kind of a smell between carb cleaner and acetone, it comes in spray can and one with a brush applicator, you may need to spray it on a couple of times when it starts to bubble its time to scrape, Jack:s

Sounds cool,,I have to give it a try. I did not realize it will bubble. It's probably oven cleaner!:D

Sounds cool,,I have to give it a try. I did not realize it will bubble. It's probably oven cleaner!:D

You may be right cause of the burning feal, I used soft metal base gaskets and head gaskets on the Evo builds and had no more problems with leaks. a bit tricky, you have to check them close for nicks and burrs, dress them with spray coppercoat and no more problems

Back