free website stats program How to buy a soft tail | Harley Davidson Forums

How to buy a soft tail

egbobt

I am going to look at a 2007 soft tail Heritage Classic. What should I be looking at to make sure it hasn't been in a crash. I don't know much about the Heritage Classic except I love the looks and rode one for a day a few months ago and have wanted one since.

Currently ride a Sportster.

check highway bars and pegs, headlight rims, scratches on front and rear blinkers, floorboard edges, scuffs on saddlebags and seat pads, mirrors, the end of the handlegrips, just check it real close.

At least today, rolling back speedometers/odometers is not wide spread like it use to be. Looking back many years ago it was very wide spread. I was once trading in a car at a Buick Dealership and my car had just over 88,000 miles on it. The salesman told me he could not allow me much for the car since it had high mileage.
Then he actually turned to me while laughing and said "Now if there was some way you could bring this car back with 25,000 miles on it, we could Really Talk".

I could tell he was not joking...

When we bought the wifes used 08 FLHX we knew what dealer the previous owner used.With his name they pulled up all parts purchased for that bike since it was new.

Since no parts where purchased other than slip ons,tuner etc..It left me feeling pretty confident it wasnt crashed.If someone crashes there bike odds are pretty good its going back to there favorite dealer.Odds are good if the thing was in an accident they'd have a fairly hefty parts record in that persons name.

I wouldnt suggest you let the salesman know youre doing this.Simply walk over to the parts counter drop his name and ask to pull up a parts history.

egbobt; One thing to check is the crashbar top center mount. Often if the crash bar gets bent, the frame will tear where the bolt goes in. If you see or feel roughness or hammer marks, beware. Also look/feel the very bottom curve of crashbars, primary derby, and bottom of mufflers for scrapes. When you ride it, hold the bars very lightly and see if it pulls to either side more than just a little.

You won't be disappointed with any softail. Especially with a 2007 Heritage. Of course I might be a little biased.

Back