free website stats program how to adjust bag latches??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

how to adjust bag latches???

Also, as the spring on one of the latch hinge pins ages or breaks, the over center action of closing the latch weakens considerably. I just replaced one of the springs on the more frequently used right bag and the popping down/over center action is MUCH stronger now. The initial lifting of the latch to release requires much more force now. Even if your springs haven't broken, you may be due some new ones.

I would be checking the latch springs. The shaft and spring will rust and the spring will bind and eventually break.
Ken

Oiling those rusty springs and hinge pins helps a lot. I was having the same problem until I oiled them, now the covers latch shut a lot better.

If Steve's adjustment doesn't help, it may be that your weatherstrip seal has compressed with age. IMO the weatherstrip keeps pressure on everything. You might try putting a few pieces of universal weatherstrip or foam around the lid to "shim" it up.

Breeze suggestion did the trick - put on new weatherstrip and went over a good size pot hole (by accident) and it stayed shut - the weatherstrip was only about $15.00 and was easy to put on. Somewhere between 2001 and now they made an improvement on this part -they added a piece of nylon about 4" long inside the weatherstrip to firm everything up - when you put this new strip on, make sure that the 4" nylon reinforcement is right where the latch screws into the bag -

Back