free website stats program How the heck do you protect yourself from this? | Harley Davidson Forums

How the heck do you protect yourself from this?

eleft36

Driver in fatal crash was painting her nails
Morris woman ran red light

May 5, 2009

NEWS-SUN STAFF REPORT
The driver who ran a red light and killed a Lake Zurich motorcyclist was applying nail polish at the time, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said Monday.

She was identified as Laura Hunt, 46, of downstate Morris, who was charged with failure to reduce speed. The state's attorney's office is investigating further charges, Curran said.

Police said Hunt ran a red light Saturday at the intersection of Route 12 and Old McHenry Road, near Lake Zurich. Her vehicle struck Anita Zaffke's motorcycle, causing the 56-year-old Lake Zurich woman to be thrown from the bike. Zaffke was pronounced dead roughly an hour later at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital in Lake Barrington.

Hunt told investigators she was painting her nails at the time of the crash, Curran said.

The sheriff's office is still investigating the scene. Hunt's speed at the time of the crash had not been determined Monday.

well, lets face it.. you can't.

That could have just as easily happened to a pedestrian walking across the street
at that time, would have changed nothing.

A real shame though, I hope the courts throw the book at her, that
woman should never drive a vehicle again.

I do not know what is Wrong with People Today, I am tired of Hearing/Reading about these Stupid/Senseless Accidents, When will they Wake Up! It seems that it keeps happening instead of something being done about it. I am Very Sorry for the People on the Bike and that it happened!

Another sad deal.

It is amazing how many drivers think dressing, texting, talking on phones, or whatever doesn't effect their driving. There is really no argument in our society about drinking or drugs impairing someone's driving. Having an accident while doing those substances can land result in some serious jail time. To me, performing a distracting tasks can impair someone's driving as much as drinking. However, I don't think the driving public is going to acknowledge that fact.

Again, someone pays the price for being around an inattentive driver.

Wow!! That is unreal. I knew their were some dumb people in this world but that is just plain stupid!! I couldnt even imagine driving and painting nails at the same time.

Sadly there is no way to protect you from bad decisions made by others. Comedian Ed White said it best..."You can't fix stupid..."! If fate and destiny has control, nothing can protect us from human error...our own included, even with all our due diligence.

Unfortunately, there are some things in life that you just can't be protected from. The idiocy of others is one of them. When states enact tougher motor vehicle laws that make such acts punishable with some lengthy prison time, folks might just figure it's safer to do one's nails at home.....

Mandatory revocation of anyones license convicted of an offense like this for a minimum of 3 years! Teach them a lesson they will not soon forget.

One thing I have learned is that while I am on my bike, I expect everyone to be stupid, that way when someone cuts me off or pulls out in front of me, I simply chalk it up as normal. How many times have you heard the idiot say "oh I didn't see you?"

Back