free website stats program How often do u change spark plugs? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do u change spark plugs?

If you dont mind me asking is there a reason that you wait to change your plugs till youve ran a fresh tank of gas through? Ive seen other people post the same thing but havent seen or read anywhere whats the reason for that. Im not very mechanialy inclined but Im curently doing the 10000 mile service on my bike (learning/enjoying alot) and was just about to change them when I read this? thanks for any help

Probably adds some stabilizer for the winter

If you dont mind me asking is there a reason that you wait to change your plugs till youve ran a fresh tank of gas through? Ive seen other people post the same thing but havent seen or read anywhere whats the reason for that. Im not very mechanialy inclined but Im curently doing the 10000 mile service on my bike (learning/enjoying alot) and was just about to change them when I read this? thanks for any help

Typically in years past we would change plugs after running out bad gas or fuel additives so we would not ruin a new plug, with additives and bad gas the plugs can get small (freckles) of deposits on them quickly eroding the plugs and causing a miss fire, modern gas is more forgiving JMO

My experience: actually, a spark plug can last thousands of miles without any problem, given the combustion of the engine and -of course- both ignition coil and wires are doing the job properly. Oil fouling and over enriched/leaned mixtures are the main factors which contribute to spark plugs life.
I have had the original HD plugs for more than 25000 miles in my ´95 RK which is now 85000 miles...inspect and check gap every 1500 miles.:bigsmiley12:

Yes, like Jack said, I would wait until the old gas was run out before I would put new plugs in.

I know I am not that old, but as I get older, the little things I used to worry about, like changing the plugs regularly, running a different heat range in front and rear, indexing the plugs, and setting timing to within a degree of the sweet spot just don't seem to matter as much to me anymore. As long as it runs "perfectly" it is good enough for me. And that definition of perfectly has changed too.

Conincidently I am no longer invincible, or the fastest guy on the street, if that means anything.

If you have an older bike ( mine is an 03, open loop, no o2 sensors) at about 85,000 The plugs started running whiter than they had been. It took a bit of reading and finding the right wires in the connector for the ECM. Was able to check the resistance for the throttle position sensor and it was actually getting leaner as the throttle was opened. Anyway checking the plugs occasional during your riding season may let you know when something is changing for the worse. Also the plugs that were in the bike when I got it at 61,000 miles look like they had 30,000 to 50,000 miles on them and the bike ran fine.

Back