free website stats program How often do u change spark plugs? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do u change spark plugs?

After looking at the plugs at 5,000 miles and no problem found, I replaced them at 10,000 miles which is what the manual calls for.

I change them every 10K as part of the service procedure. They don't cost much, but are one of the most important components on the bike. Without a spark, nothing else matters!

i was talking to a harley mechanic a few years back and asked his opinion on plugs...he said every 5000 miles, too cheap not to. i told him what the manual said...he laughed and said that i asked for his opinion, thats what he gave. i change them (both bikes)every 5000 miles along with my other maintenance services

I replace mine every spring. Pretty much for the same reason I replace the batteries in the smoke detectors every fall. It's cheap and I feel good about it.

I replace them every year and put the old ones in the tool bag for spares. The ones in the bag previously I give to my brother-in-law and he uses them as new in his bike. Hey its his bike.

I used to change them way too often. Now I change them when the electrode looks worn. The ultra they made it 13,500 and the electrode looks warn pretty bad, I am going to change those out right after I run a fresh tank of gas thru. On the xlch I used to change them every few weeks, no speedometer but would guess about every 2-3000 miles. On my Cadillac I went about 110,000 miles and changed them before this past winter. It still started and ran perfectly, but I figured that I should do it voluntarily instead of having to pay to have it towed as well. Can't really even tell that I had it done, runs the same, idles smooth as silk as always, but it does make me feel better.

If you dont mind me asking is there a reason that you wait to change your plugs till youve ran a fresh tank of gas through? Ive seen other people post the same thing but havent seen or read anywhere whats the reason for that. Im not very mechanialy inclined but Im curently doing the 10000 mile service on my bike (learning/enjoying alot) and was just about to change them when I read this? thanks for any help

Back