free website stats program How often do u change spark plugs? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do u change spark plugs?

On my older bikes I would flat file and end gap them and put them back in, now I know better about the heat transfer and the compression gaskets. New plugs every 10K:s

I just did my 20k service and changed them on the Ultra, the rear was whiter than the front, I will probably change them a little more often. My 72 sporty wanted plugs every 500 miles or so, the 2000 rk was every year, this was a year and a half.....

Change mine every 5 thousand - If you got-em out why not just replace then! And like others have said - put those used ones in the tool bag after cleaning, for those sudden unforeseen crisis.

Funny story, I always carried a pair of new Champions when I rode baggers. One year in Daytona a guy from New York had just unloaded a Roadking and it would not start. I walked over spun the new plugs in and it fired right up. The owner asks me what he should do with the old plugs, I said throw them in the ocean ( just kidding ) but he did. LOL:s

When I first buy a bike, I change the plugs,then never again 'cause I usually sell them before I need a change. I've had the 2 bikes I have now for almost 2 years, but only 4K on the RoadKing & 600 on the Fatty since I got 'em, so it'll be awhile.

I have 16k on the SG, pulled and inspected at 10k and plugs were in fine shape. I will replace them at 20k.

I replace them every 5,000 miles. Since it is pull and check time for a few dollars I just put in new plugs. Old ones go in the tool bag in case of a need on the road. H-D brand only.

I used to change them way too often. Now I change them when the electrode looks worn. The ultra they made it 13,500 and the electrode looks warn pretty bad, I am going to change those out right after I run a fresh tank of gas thru. On the xlch I used to change them every few weeks, no speedometer but would guess about every 2-3000 miles. On my Cadillac I went about 110,000 miles and changed them before this past winter. It still started and ran perfectly, but I figured that I should do it voluntarily instead of having to pay to have it towed as well. Can't really even tell that I had it done, runs the same, idles smooth as silk as always, but it does make me feel better.

Back