free website stats program How much? | Harley Davidson Forums

How much?

OK, I recently inherited my fathers bike and I need to get it insured before I hit the road with it. The lady I was talking to at the insurance agency asked me what the bike would have cost brand new and what's it's worth now. I'm new to the bike scene so I have no clue of either. Can someone with more knowledge than me (it doesn't take much at all!) please help me out here, thanks.

Yea it would cost about $20,000 at least to build something that looked like that to-day. F.Y.I. see where the clutch cable goes into that part mounted on the frame. That's called a mouse trap eliminator,its to replace a foot clutch with a hand clutch. Don't see many of those anymore.

First off I would love to have your bike. Love those shovelheads. It isn't worth $20K in the present condition. Looking closely at the photos the points do not have a cover and look used up. The chrome on the right points cover seems to be peeling. The clutch side has been over on its side and it wasn't a soft tip over. The frame looked like a wish bone but seems to be an after market one. Seat is frayed as well as the paint. Transmission looks like it is from the shovelhead days. Bare wiring here and there. That is more but that is the cold truth. If it were my dad's bike I would keep it, fix it up and ride the wheels off of it. The patina and the legacy of that bike makes it price less to you and that is why you should get back it on the road. Fossil

I'll agree with Fossil, keep it and ride it.

The purists will jump, shovel not pan, exhaust not long enough,
seat not right, front wheel brake, blah blah blah.

It was your dad's keep it as a tribute to him, no one else.

Insurance value ? guess between 5 and 10k for the market,
10-15 to build that from 'new'

personal value.. priceless :)

Thanks for all of your input guys, especially Fossil, I'd rather have brutal honesty than someone beating around the bush. Yeah, my plan was to keep it, fix it up, and to ride the wheels off of it as it was put earlier. I just wanted to make sure it was legal before doing so...which brings me to my next question. The VIN number on the title does not match up with the one on the engine. The title says it's a '52 Harley, and to my knowledge they did not stamp the frame with the VIN back then, is that correct? The only numbers that match up are the license plate on the title and the bike, which doesn't mean anything really I guess. So what do I need to do to get it registered correctly? Thanks again for all of your comments and look forward to hearing more since I'm a cherry to the bike world.

Back