free website stats program How much should I learn about my bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How much should I learn about my bike

I know nothing about mechanic's but I'm willing to learn. I'm going to start with an oil change and go from there. First, I'm off to buy the service manual, not just the book that came with my new bike. With my husband's assistance and HDTimeline, I feel confident that I can learn how to fix pretty much any issue that comes up. I'm not sure about the bigger projects but I'm willing to try. I want to learn all that I can to keep my motorcycle running for a LONG time.

I'm also a DIY'er. Part of the deal for buying my left over 09 was a 5 yr. extended warr. and lifetime pre-paid service. That's 7 yrs. I shouldn't have to pay anything. Still after reading the experience of others with dealer service I intend to take care of my own normal service with the excellent help here on HDTimeline.

When I got my first oil change at the dealer, I only had to pay materials ($80) not labor but they listed the labor charge on the bill. I couldn't believe that I would have to pay over $200 for my next oil change! I decided that I'd better get the manual and learn how to do some things on my own or I wouldn't be able to afford to keep my new bike.

When I got my first oil change at the dealer, I only had to pay materials ($80) not labor but they listed the labor charge on the bill. I couldn't believe that I would have to pay over $200 for my next oil change! I decided that I'd better get the manual and learn how to do some things on my own or I wouldn't be able to afford to keep my new bike.

Plummie09 got the answer right first crack out of the box...how much should you learn?...as much as possible to be able to follow the routine maintenance and installation of parts and accessory add ons...possibly doing them yourself as your library (Service Manual is a must), confidence grows. If you choose to start doing it yourself and start saving money you can save money for the "heavy lifting" if you, resources or time are not in the deck. Its' okay, we all started under similar circumstances...enjoy the ride Ron...Mr. Harley will be in good hands! :D

I'm also a DIY'er. Part of the deal for buying my left over 09 was a 5 yr. extended warr. and lifetime pre-paid service. That's 7 yrs. I shouldn't have to pay anything. Still after reading the experience of others with dealer service I intend to take care of my own normal service with the excellent help here on HDTimeline.

You sure about that? Usually the extended warranty includes the factory warranty period so you're actually getting an additional 3 years above and beyond the 2 year factory warranty when you purchase a 5 year extended warranty.

I hear horror stories about stealerships working on peoples bikes and wonder how they can get away charging so much for labor.
To prevent something falling off or breaking, I do as much of the work as I can.
Trust no one with your bike. Do as much as you can and take your bike to an indy that you trust.

There are some things I will bring it to a mechanic to work on ,but not much. The book was the best purchase I made.

After your warranty is over,find someone in town that has a small shop. People who ride in your area know who the honest guys are.

Link to fix my hog DVD below

Harley-Davidson Repair, Maintenance DVDs | Fix My Hog | Motorcycle DIY DVDs

I agree with this, but will add I go to the Indy if I need a mechanic. I dont trust the dealers. Fix my Hog DVD is very good along with the manual you cant go wrong.

There are obviously people at both ends of the bell curve but chances are you are no different than anyone else as far as ability. It may take you longer for some things but there is not really any magic. This board is a great place to let you set your own pace and push the envelope on your skills whenever you want.

I haven't had a bad experience from a dealer on service, so I won't knock them. They are staffed by people and all people make mistakes and have a bad day.

Just based on what I have read on HDT so far I change all fluids (brake, shock, trans, chaincase, mort oil), adjust/monitor belt tension, adjust/check head bearing (fall away), clutch adjustment, installed new headers, mufflers, TFI, stage 1 air cleaner, oil temp guage, IDS system on the rear wheel, replaced the fuel filter and hose in the tank. And when I get new tires, I just take the wheels up to the dealer for removal of the old, installing the new and balancing.

This winter I am planning to replace the cam chain tensioner in my wife's 2002 dyna. That will be my first attempt at what I would call serious engine work an I have to purchase a few specialty tools for that. ( I also installed an reduced effort clutch on her bike as well).

That was all from HDT and the folks here filling in the spaces with their tips and experince. I feel a lot better riding knowing more about my machine and the more I learn about it the better informed I will be if there is a serious issue.:D

Back