free website stats program How much should a DYNO cost ? | Harley Davidson Forums

How much should a DYNO cost ?

ironmark

Like it says how much ??? the HD dealer wants to charge $508 , they say it takes 5 hours to install a custom map :53: sounds like a rip-off to me !!

Re: How much should a DYNO cost ??

It's a money maker for the dealers for sure, just make sure the tuner that is doing the job knows what they are doing. Some have installed a canned map with a tweak here and there but it should be a full custom map for the price they quoted you. It varies from dealer to dealer and should take half a day or better to do it right.
What tuner is being added to the bike? Ask if they have direct link for a PC III if that is what you are using.

Just had mine done,bought the bike with V&H with stage 1. It cost $300,,,,hooked it up to a computer and such. Can't say i see a difference though. The service manager said I should do it after 500 miles,,it was done after 1000 miles.

I have the HD race tuner & the dealer said that they tune each cylinder @ 500 rpm intervals , they are giving me their set price , also I know that there are better tuners but can they do a custom map with the HD race tuner ?

I think you are hearing the right sound alright. Geez, half a grand for a map which puts a different spin on your engines fuel requirements sounds a little rich to me. No pun intended. I think I would be looking for an alternative to the dealers tuner. There are plenty of others out there that the owner can tune with a screwdriver and a little patience. Some are even plug and play and then the device tunes itself. Do yourself a favor and look at other options. Pretty much anybody I have ever met who can chew Juicy Fruit and walk across the street can put a fuel device on their bike. Look around and ask questions, you will save some quatro. On the other hand if you want to help your dealer out of a slow period you can always have them do it for you.

Dealer quotes (Battlefield HD in Gettysburg, PA, my local dealer in York doesn't have a working dyno at the moment):
6 hour dyno run: $408.00
Cams plus dyno run (I already have the Super Tuner): $674.00 (Ohhh YEAHHH!)

I know other tuners are favored here, but at my Dealers suggestion, I went with the Super Tuner. Training DVD, cables, and software. I've dealt with my HD dealer since 1970, and I have some faith in them. I'm also a computer jock by trade, and the process of saving/tweaking/uploading maps is just like what I do with audio midi gear effects processors, I'm even using the same laptop.
So far, I did an AC and pipes, and the dealer put in the generic canned program for this. When I put in cams, probably this winter, I'm going to get a dyno tune. I'll know what they did, and I'll be able to compare recorded runs (the new Super Tuner lets you record and download up to 15 minutes of live data-- so I'll do one before the dyno, and one after).
I have a reasonably good ear, I've built and tuned HDs since 1970, but I don't think I can pick out the proper AFR table values for each cylinder by ear. Like Hobbit sez, it's kind of a lot of money involved, and I just hate it when a piston gets a hole or a rod comes through the case.
Each to his own, I've "married the mob" (the MoCo's Super Tuner) and I'll be sure to report back.
Note: if the cam and dyno affect the bike like the AC, pipes and Super Tuner did, I'll be REALLY getting snapped out of the seat. This thing runs waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better than the stock setup. Just shy of 2000 miles and it's one sweet glide!

Life is good!

Bone

I agree with Hobbit. If you are just gonna put some pipes and an air cleaner, have no intention of racing or beating the stuffing out of it, go with a plug-n-play and save yourself some cash. On the other hand, if you're hard on the engine or intend on upgrading any of the guts, spend the money and get it dyno tuned.

Our charge is 2 hrs dyno time at work which comes to around $160.(SERT not included)

Our charge is 2 hrs dyno time at work which comes to around $160.(SERT not included)

How is it that some places take 5 to 6 hours to do a Dyno tune and others do it in 2 hours? Are we talking about the same kind of tuning? Heck, it could take nearly half of that 2 hours to move the bike in the chamber and set the equipment up. How much time is the guy actually tuning the bike? My guy took 5 hours and I believe he took all that time to do what needed to be done. This may be a case of you get what you pay for.

Back