How much oil?? Odd...

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by martysnarf, Aug 28, 2009.

1. martysnarf

martysnarf Active Member

I changed my oil awhile back, and my 09 SG only took 3 quarts to be full. This surprised me, so I checked it every day- both hot and cold- and it was dead-on <just more than halfway between "add a quart" and "full" on the stick while hot>.

Yesterday, I picked my bike up from the Dealership after having the 1K Service and a couple of other things done, and they told me that it took 4 quarts yesterday, and that it was HIGHLY unusual for it to have only needed 3 quarts when I did it myself. I brought them the oil to use- Mobil 1 b/c I changed over to synthetic- so I know that it took 4 quarts because that's what I brought them when I dropped it off.

Does this make sense? I am concerned that I had been running the bike a quart low on oil!! According to the dipstick, it was right where it's supposed to be. HD tells me otherwise (no surprise).

Am I nuts here? Do your '09s take 4 quarts?

THANKS!

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Usually you can only fir 3 1/2 qts in the engine because there is always about 1/2 qt left in the oil galleries inside the engine. If they put 4 qts in , more than likely it's over filled or they were telling you a story.

3. martysnarf

martysnarf Active Member

Imagine that. Exactly what I figured. They conveniently didn't return any of the unused Mobil 1, Spectro, or Formula + that I was expecting. Kinda ticked me off...

They DID wash my bike for me, which was unexpectedly nice!

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Wonder what they did with the second quart of Formula+ that had 26 ounces left in it :52:

5. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

im sure they managed to keep the 4th quart and the extra f+ why didnt you do the changes your self?

6. martysnarf

martysnarf Active Member

I do- and will- but they had to calibrate my ABS and do something else that I wasn't comfortable with.

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

i understand that but i would have let them do what they had to and rest myself.. course i dont trust the dealer at all but thats me

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Oh Bud! :lolrolling

That's me too!!!