free website stats program How much oil?? Odd... | Harley Davidson Forums

How much oil?? Odd...

martysnarf

I changed my oil awhile back, and my 09 SG only took 3 quarts to be full. This surprised me, so I checked it every day- both hot and cold- and it was dead-on <just more than halfway between "add a quart" and "full" on the stick while hot>.

Yesterday, I picked my bike up from the Dealership after having the 1K Service and a couple of other things done, and they told me that it took 4 quarts yesterday, and that it was HIGHLY unusual for it to have only needed 3 quarts when I did it myself. I brought them the oil to use- Mobil 1 b/c I changed over to synthetic- so I know that it took 4 quarts because that's what I brought them when I dropped it off.

Does this make sense? I am concerned that I had been running the bike a quart low on oil!! According to the dipstick, it was right where it's supposed to be. HD tells me otherwise (no surprise).

Am I nuts here? Do your '09s take 4 quarts?

THANKS!

Usually you can only fir 3 1/2 qts in the engine because there is always about 1/2 qt left in the oil galleries inside the engine. If they put 4 qts in , more than likely it's over filled or they were telling you a story.

...or they were telling you a story.

Imagine that. Exactly what I figured. They conveniently didn't return any of the unused Mobil 1, Spectro, or Formula + that I was expecting. Kinda ticked me off...

They DID wash my bike for me, which was unexpectedly nice!

im sure they managed to keep the 4th quart and the extra f+ why didnt you do the changes your self?

i understand that but i would have let them do what they had to and rest myself.. course i dont trust the dealer at all but thats me

Back