free website stats program How much is too much? Air loss | Harley Davidson Forums

How much is too much? Air loss

Crazyfrog

What would you all think is an un acceptible amount of air loss in a rear suspension?
I have an 08' Ultra, and it seems to be loosing about 5lbs per month. (I have only noticed this in the last 6-8 weeks)
I talked to the service guy at the local shop, and he says that's not uncommon, although some bikes go years and never loose any. At 5 lbs per month, he says they would never find the leak.
The bike is under warranty til April of 10'. I'll keep a watchful eye on it, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Some soapy water around the fittings will usually find any leaks. They should hold air without much if any loss.

If you're bored and wanted to try and track down the leak yourself, you could use the soapy water method and THEN point it out to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. If you check it at least once a month and it's only losing 5 pounds, I wouldn't worry about it.

Suppose that you could change all the O rings. I doubt that you would ever find such a small leak.

Mine will go months with no loss at all. Check and make sure that your schrader valve is tight and not seeping. The soapy water trick will do it.

What I would do is to remove the air lines and with a razor blade, cut the last 1'8" off the line and install a new "O" ring. It should take care of it but make sure to cut the line perfectly straight across.

I am having the same problem with my 09. a buddy of mine said to get one of those valve wrenches for an innertube and make sure that is tight first. He said that may my my issue. Doing that tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. I did try some leak detector that I have for gas lines on the schrader valve and the fittings at the shocks, the easy ones, but found nothing. I'll keep an eye on it for a while, but I'm not going to loose sleep over it if it stays at such a minimal leak.
At this point in time, it would be a good winter project!

Back