free website stats program How much consumption between oil changes?? | Harley Davidson Forums

How much consumption between oil changes??

MigAZ

I suspected I had an oil leak on my '05 RK, since I saw residue on the frame and I had to add less than a quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have about 2500 miles since my oil change.

Dealer said Harley claims it's normal. The tech said to lose the synthetic and go to dino oil for about 2500 more miles to seat valves. "It's almost too good an oil" were his words. I have approx 13,000 miles on this bike and it's still covered under warranty.

What do you guys say?

There is no reason to NOT use synthetic oil ofter your first oil change but it is almost too good and can find a way out where dino oil might not but that also means it is getting into all the tight little places that need to be lubricated. As for consumption, my '07 FLHTC never used more than a cup full between oil changes and my '09 is the same, almost no consumption at all. However, some bikes seen to go through more than others and the important thing is to figure out what is 'normal' for yours. If there is oil residue somewhere, might be a leak that needs attention.

Thanks for the feedback, db.

It turns out the oil residue was transmission oil (I use Spectro). I'm keeping a close eye on the motor oil consumption though. I'm not sure I'm convinced the consumptions is normal. The tech did mention he pulled plugs and saw no hint of me burning it on the plugs.

I suspected I had an oil leak on my '05 RK, since I saw residue on the frame and I had to add less than a quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have about 2500 miles since my oil change.

Dealer said Harley claims it's normal. The tech said to lose the synthetic and go to dino oil for about 2500 more miles to seat valves. "It's almost too good an oil" were his words. I have approx 13,000 miles on this bike and it's still covered under warranty.

What do you guys say?

LOOSE that harley dealer,,, Their VIEW,,,,I think it is Wrong...... No way does the valves need to seat.... UNLESS your leaving out part of the story???

Did anybody do work on the engine since Last Oil change???

Has the bike USED oil BEFORE? and How Long HAVE you been using the M-1?

If you Just changed out to synthetic oil and NOW have the First signs of USING oil.. Maybe else thing..(part of a Quart???)

How much LESS than a Quart?

Then It might be okay to switch back to WHAT YOU Used Before the M-1, IF that is the situation.But further investigation is Needed..

If you have a little oil residue on the frame and you Kept your bike spotless, Running your hand toward the area of the residue under motor and see if you have a oil leak...

It isn't UNusual for a bike to get worn enough to use OIL. OR on some to use a LITTLE Bit getting Used to the New Synthetic.

signed....BUBBIE

To me having to add "less than a quart" means you had to add "almost a quart" of oil in 2500 miles. That to me is a lot based on a system that is less than a gallon and a bike with 13K on the clock.. You need to correct the leak (residual on frame) and check the air cleaner and see if it's going down the intake before you can understand the situation. Don't blame the rings or the value guides before you make some checks and repairs for the leak or possible ingestion.

What do you guys say?

I agree with BUBBIE. Loose the dealer that told you that using dino will seat the valves, the bike has 13K and the valves are seated all there going to be. Locate any leaks and fix them.

You may have changed the oil and not added the proper amount of oil when doing it. The bagger calls for 4 qts with a filter but rarely will it take over 3 1/2 quarts on a change. Just verify the level and watch it.

Find another dealer too.

As SIR BUBBIE says...a LEAK is NOT normal. Use the VIN and check to see if work was done to the bike at this dealer or others in the area. To have the H-D dealer say "it is normal...is flat out wrong. " Time to go find a "Real" H-D Dealer who will treat you right or at least give you sound advice. You have to do some serious riding if your engine is in "proper" condition to lose that much oil between changes. Was it running properly years before without incident?

You have some really good responses to your question. I have a couple of questions about your bike. Have you owned the bike since it was new or did you purchase it used? If you are the original owner did you do the proper break in to seat the rings? If your not the original owner you have no way of knowing about the break in procedure. The milage suggest that it should not be worn to the point that it is burning oil, however if it was not broken in properly you could have some blow by and this can cause oil consumption. have you or the dealer done a leak down test on your cylinders? My '94 FLSTC would go thru 1/2 quart of oil between changes (3500mi) and this was with 135,000mi on the motor.

How sure were you that the oil was FULL, full?

How Much of that Quart???

signed....BUBBIE

YES on the responses and QUICK....

LOOSE that harley dealer,,, Their VIEW,,,,I think it is Wrong...... No way does the valves need to seat.... UNLESS your leaving out part of the story??? Straight from the tech

Did anybody do work on the engine since Last Oil change??? No

Has the bike USED oil BEFORE? and How Long HAVE you been using the M-1? No

If you Just changed out to synthetic oil and NOW have the First signs of USING oil.. Maybe else thing..(part of a Quart???)

How much LESS than a Quart? 3/4 qt.

Then It might be okay to switch back to WHAT YOU Used Before the M-1, IF that is the situation.But further investigation is Needed..I agree

If you have a little oil residue on the frame and you Kept your bike spotless, Running your hand toward the area of the residue under motor and see if you have a oil leak... I keep it spotless. Residue is transmission oil leaking from the o-ring on the clutch cable. Tech mentioned this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back