free website stats program How many ohms? | Harley Davidson Forums

How many ohms?

bobba

hello all

Just wanted to see if anyone knows what ohms a 97 dyna fxd wide glide evo engine runs as stock?

Ohm's is the resistance. There are many different ohm measurements in a Harley's electrical system. What are you testing?

Welcome to The Forum, if you are talking about ignition read here
For Evolution® and Shovelhead® applications, ballast resistance is used to limit coil current. In these systems, the resistance of the coil primary windings serves as the ballast resistor. Primary resistance is typically 3 ohms. Newer Twin Cam 88® applications use a coil with very low (about .5 ohm) primary resistance. Coil current is limited electronically within the module by restricting the charging time.

I was looking for a coil.
Looked every where but could not find a sure answer.
I thought it was 3 ohms but i have found in my build better not to make assumptions.

Thanks for the help lads

If you are still running the stock electronic ign. then the 3 ohm coil is correct. If it was converted back to a points ign. then you need a 5 ohm coil.
tourbox

I was looking for a coil.
Looked every where but could not find a sure answer.
I thought it was 3 ohms but i have found in my build better not to make assumptions.

Thanks for the help lads

bobba,

I don't suppose you'd be interested in the service manual for 97 dyna glide models. Slightly used.

Back