free website stats program How many miles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles

The balanced engines balancers are driven off the crank by a sprocket that is pressed on. It's entirely possible that the sprocket has shifted position on the crank but the right side of the engine case has to be opened up to verify this to see if it has shifted.

0807_hbkp_11_s+twin_cam+clamps.jpg

Last edited:
I have a freind with a early 90's UC with 430,000 miles on it. He says he has only rebuilt it 2 times. I find that hard to believe but he is a Harley mechanic and has been for over 30 years.

I have a question regarding the a and the b motors . Why did harley make one balanced or rigid mounted and the other rubber mounted . What are the advantages and or disadvantages of each . From what i can tell the rubber mounted have a little more torque .

Its all about the vibration The B motor is suppose to vibrate less how much can u take

The reason for the "A" and "B" motors is the frames. The conventional rubber mounting of the engine can't be done on the softails because of the softail shock configuration. Thats also why softails still have oil tanks under the seat, while the others are under the trans.(where the softail shocks live).

Breeze is right, the frames are completely different. HD wanted to design a bike with the "old-school" look of the hardtail but with rear shocks. So they hid the shocks underneath to give the frame that old look. To go along with that the engine needed to be bolted directly to the frame so they developed the "B" or "balanced" engine to reduce the vibration that was transmitted to the rider through the frame/bars/footboards. Having ridden many a mile on a '49 Panhead hardtail with no rear shocks and the seat bolted directly to the frame I can tell you that this was a good idea! They kept the original engine (often referred to as the "A") in the other bikes with the rubber engine mounts which don't need the balanced engine. Which begs the question why not put
a balanced engine in rubber mounts and get the best of both??

I have an 05 Fatboy w/88B. Is it wise to have a tach installed? I don't have a clue when I'm at 3000 nor any other RPM. Don't know how far I can lug it down.

A tach is always a good thing if you can't judge the RPM's of the motor by ear. If you just listen to the motor and keep it in the range where you don't feel the harsh thumping of the motor in the bars, you will usually be safe. If in doubt downshift.

Back