free website stats program How many miles should I expect out of my Stock tires? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles should I expect out of my Stock tires?

Thanks for that sir, those are the pressures listed in the operators manual for my bike though.

The operators' manual or the sticker on your bike is a good starting point for recommended tire pressures for the stock OEM Dunlops. That will change slightly depending on if you change type or sizing, in which case you will guage the tread depth for even wear across the tread thru experience and manufacturer recommendations.

Case in point, Metzlers which I ran recommended 4 PSI higher in front and rear...and with my experience it worked out fine...even tread wear across the tread face. And no handling problem when I would take bike into the canyons or the super slab two-up. JMHO

Replaced original tires at 14,000. Touring not Dyna. Check pressure every time I ride. Not so easy to do. The only thing between you and the road are those two tires. Be safe ! Be happy !

most of the time you can expect 5 to 6 thousand miles for a rear tire, and about 15,000 to 20,000 for a front tire

have a 05 train , rear has 8200 on it . still looks to have 5-7 left if i dont burn at it . as for the front i cant say as i got robed at southern v twin for it and the rim also:newsmile042:

most of the time you can expect 5 to 6 thousand miles for a rear tire, and about 15,000 to 20,000 for a front tire

It is good to know I am not alone at changing a rear tire every 5 to 6 K miles.
Now on 6th rear tire after 33 K miles on Fat Boy without burnouts.
Front is usually good for 12 k miles.
All Dunlops.

I have run Dunlop HDs and Metslers. I have not gotten 10,000 yet. I am a fanatic about tire pressure but I ride in the mountains. I burned up a pair of metslers in 6 thousand packing a 110 pound gal.

Michelin scorcher stock tires I got 11,000 miles. Switched to dunlop K591 and am at 8,000 and they are almost done......just about to the wear indicators front and back. I'm hearing the K591 is a more performance oriented tire which would explain the lower miles......softer rubber....can't say they are a bad tire.......jsut not for my riding style. I already purchased a pair of Michelin Commander 2's and will be mounting them after my trip to rolling thunder. The commander 2s are in my garage unmounted right now but after taking a look at them when they delivered I can say the tread is ABSOLUTELY deaper than the scorchers or K591s......hoping to get 14 - 15k out of them......time will tell. Tire life is not easy to estimate.....so many variables......1 up vs. 2 up.......riding hard vs riding easy etc. I don't ride hard and got the miles listed above and ride 1 up most of the time on freeway commuting and some weekend touring. I have friends that ride like their hair is on fire all the time and at 6,000 their tires are done for.......that is my 2 cents anyway.

I have used the stock Dunlaps as well as the Metzlers ME 880 and I change a rear about the same time as I change the oil, best ever was 7k, most is a little less. Front equal two rear.
2009 FXD, windshield, throwover bags, normlly one up, mostly rural riding. I don't think I ride aggressively but it does tend to be fast most everywhere I go.

Like to add that I ride with recommended tire presure and both tires run nitrogin, Metzlers tire pressures run a bit higher than Dunlops, Looking for a better solution, For transportation, what I save in fuel, I spend in tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back