free website stats program How many miles should I expect out of my Stock tires? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles should I expect out of my Stock tires?

2011 FXDB 8800 miles going to need new front and rear shortly -2mm centre tread rear,
3mm centre tread front.
Tyres; Michelin Scorcher 31.
Solo Rider.
30 PSI front; 40 PSI rear.
Approx 180lbs in riding gear
Ride roads with tight and twisty bends and open sweepers.
Riding style moderatley aggressive.
Hope that helps.

IMO your running a little lite in the front tire.

On my 2010 FXDC I have 14890 miles on it and so far I have just put on the 3rd rear tire. I have gotten about 7500 miles out of each. I just replaced the front tire last summer at about 12000 miles. They are Mich Scorchers. I ride 2 up alot and pull a trailer once in awhile. So I'm happy. I do change the tires when they start to cup and I have worn the tread down to the wear indicators. I will wear down so that one part of the tire will be down to the wear bars.

2011 FXDB 8800 miles going to need new front and rear shortly -2mm centre tread rear,
3mm centre tread front.
Tyres; Michelin Scorcher 31.
Solo Rider.
30 PSI front; 40 PSI rear.
Approx 180lbs in riding gear
Ride roads with tight and twisty bends and open sweepers.
Riding style moderatley aggressive.
Hope that helps.

Front tyre will only have about 6mm when new and the rear about 8.5 mm so the front is only half worn in the uk 1mm is minimum on a motorcycle tyre so there is still 2mm of wear to go
However i usually change tyres as a pair and nothing sharpens up the handling better than a new set of tyres
If there is some doubt about a tyre pressure set it when cold then check it again when hot it should be around 4 psi higher
less than 4 psi then tyre to hard at cold pressure more than 4 psi tyre to soft at cold pressure
pressure in tyres is raised due to heat, heat is created by side wall flex

Brian

07 super glide, removed original tires with about 5500 miles on them (dunlops) they looked to have half tread left. I like the metzlers but heard and read about the michelin commander II, they ride awsome! i hit the twisties pretty hard and they travel very good, Metzlers tend to give a little in a turn, the michelins feel precise and predictable into the turn. Just an observation. The Dunlops get hard and they follow the grooves in the road. Prior experience with the Metzlers longevity is about 5000 miles more than the Dunlops (2004 FLHT)

As I said in my last post I change the rear tire at 7000miles wear and have just changed the rear out. Took the bike for a ride in the corners and its like a new bike. What happens is the tire starts to cup and flat out. When in a corner you get up on the ridge of the tire and the bike wants to either roll back to the flat or roll over to the curved outer edge that is not so worn. Anyway what you get is bike that can't make up its mind on where it wants to settle in on the turn. Just before I changed it I was in a fast corner scraped the peg and the bike started the death wobbles because of the way I rolled back up. Worn tire change it. There are wear bars on the tire they work grear.

Front tyre will only have about 6mm when new and the rear about 8.5 mm so the front is only half worn in the uk 1mm is minimum on a motorcycle tyre so there is still 2mm of wear to go
However i usually change tyres as a pair and nothing sharpens up the handling better than a new set of tyres
If there is some doubt about a tyre pressure set it when cold then check it again when hot it should be around 4 psi higher
less than 4 psi then tyre to hard at cold pressure more than 4 psi tyre to soft at cold pressure
pressure in tyres is raised due to heat, heat is created by side wall flex

Brian

'08 Road King...Get 8500 on a rear and could get more but I like lotsa tread for the rain. Front still has a lot of life left but i like matched sets...just like my sidearms. Besides, they look good hangin' on the fence posts! If you need a used one, help yourself!:hii

Back