free website stats program How many miles over 1,000 before service? | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles over 1,000 before service?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
My bike currently has 950 miles on it, but my 1,000 mile service isn't until next weekend. How many miles am I ok going over 1,000 before the service?

a bit is ok but i would go to far over it .. I did mine at 975. yeah 25 miles early but still

I've been wondering about limits on service mileage. I got my bike in right at the 1000 mile mark, so that was no problem.

I'm taking mine in for it's 5000 mile service Monday, but I'm at about 6200 miles. It's been my primary mode of transport lately and we took a long trip over a long weekend this past weekend. Same scenario when I took it in at 2500 miles, but was at about 3200 then, so it all equals out to a degree.

Dealer here seems to be fine with it, but I wonder how this would go if something went wrong with it and they decided to use this as a reason to void the warranty.

Do your own service and save yourself the $$! Unless the stealer has scared you into thinking you MUST take it in!

As long as your money is green , it doesn't matter at all how far over you go. A few hundred miles isn't going to make a difference here one way or the other. I do the first oil at 100 miles to remove the casting slag from the engine with a filter.
You really should do it yourself if you're so inclined as it makes no difference in warranty. Save your receipts for the oil and filter.

Do your own service and save yourself the $$! Unless the stealer has scared you into thinking you MUST take it in!

As long as your money is green , it doesn't matter at all how far over you go. A few hundred miles isn't going to make a difference here one way or the other. I do the first oil at 100 miles to remove the casting slag from the engine with a filter.
You really should do it yourself if you're so inclined as it makes no difference in warranty. Save your receipts for the oil and filter.

My 1,000 mile service is free, so I'll let them do it. :)

My 1,000 mile service is free, so I'll let them do it. :)

Don't forget to check the levels when you get it back, you usually get what you pay for.:s

Yep, what he said. For that money you might actually get the oil changed. (where I USED TO get my bike serviced anyway) See my post about 08 Steering head. I will do all service myself from now on because at least I will know that the actual service and ALL items get done. ( it will take me longer but who cares)

Back