How many miles are to many.

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by tkld01, Dec 5, 2009.

1. tkld01

tkld01 New Member

:small3d007:I am wanting to purchase a e glide classic but it has 39,000 miles on it an there wanting 10,000.00 for it but the bike is really clean for its age an the bikes year is a 1999 any help with this would be great thanks for your time.

2. B-1B_Guy

B-1B_Guy Junior Member

IMO, 4k miles/year is very low mileage for a touring bike. I average 15K/year. What does NADA book for? If you like the bike, buy it! Buy it and ride it!

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Also use Kelly Blue Book website to determine pricing, note also that only basic Sportsters 2010 brand new OTD would run in the 10K range...take 20% off if 2 or more years old...after that, as the used market prices are dropping base prices 10% or so per year...

4. Knotwillig

Knotwillig Member

Mileage is no problem. Price seems rather high for a 10 year old. Compare with similar bikes on the internet.

5. Joe2007ultra

Joe2007ultra Active Member

Use chopper exchange.com for comparison, good source

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Agree w/B1-B Guy (4K/yr = low for touring). See if there are any maint/history records...if the bike looks good it probably was maintained good too. Also, check for the obvious faults (i.e. signs of tipping, leaks, equip function, etc.).

7. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

At that mileage, maintenance that the bike had is important. Around that mileage, the cam chain shoes are in need of at least a good look.

8. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Overall, I think chopperexchange prices are pretty high. You have to keep in mind that they are ASKING prices. They do not reflect what the actual market is doing at all. You can do a search for the specific year and model on Ebay, then click on "completed listings" and look for the prices in green to see what the bikes actually sold for on Ebay.

KBB and NADA are good sources for the book (bank) value of a bike but they are prices for a bone stock bike.

9. trickydoc

trickydoc Active Member

I purchased a 01 Eglide Ultra for less than the price you quoted for a 99. It had 40K but was in great shape with service records included and other goodies, 2 extra windshields, pair of SE Exaust, and some chrome that the previous owner had not installed yet. I don't think the milage is bad, but the price is. JMHO.

10. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

========================================================

'99's were twin cams first year. Evo's were still in the softails until '00.