free website stats program How many miles are to many. | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles are to many.

tkld01

:small3d007:I am wanting to purchase a e glide classic but it has 39,000 miles on it an there wanting 10,000.00 for it but the bike is really clean for its age an the bikes year is a 1999 any help with this would be great thanks for your time.

IMO, 4k miles/year is very low mileage for a touring bike. I average 15K/year. What does NADA book for? If you like the bike, buy it! Buy it and ride it!

Also use Kelly Blue Book website to determine pricing, note also that only basic Sportsters 2010 brand new OTD would run in the 10K range...take 20% off if 2 or more years old...after that, as the used market prices are dropping base prices 10% or so per year...

Mileage is no problem. Price seems rather high for a 10 year old. Compare with similar bikes on the internet.

Agree w/B1-B Guy (4K/yr = low for touring). See if there are any maint/history records...if the bike looks good it probably was maintained good too. Also, check for the obvious faults (i.e. signs of tipping, leaks, equip function, etc.).

At that mileage, maintenance that the bike had is important. Around that mileage, the cam chain shoes are in need of at least a good look.

Use chopper exchange.com for comparison, good source

Overall, I think chopperexchange prices are pretty high. You have to keep in mind that they are ASKING prices. They do not reflect what the actual market is doing at all. You can do a search for the specific year and model on Ebay, then click on "completed listings" and look for the prices in green to see what the bikes actually sold for on Ebay.

KBB and NADA are good sources for the book (bank) value of a bike but they are prices for a bone stock bike.

I purchased a 01 Eglide Ultra for less than the price you quoted for a 99. It had 40K but was in great shape with service records included and other goodies, 2 extra windshields, pair of SE Exaust, and some chrome that the previous owner had not installed yet. I don't think the milage is bad, but the price is. JMHO.

1999 is an EVO engine they are tough what is a lot of miles depends on how it was cared for. Not that bike may not be worth it in normal times , these are nt normal times.
Do some shopping compare condition and price
If every thing else is more than right with the bike down the road it is not that expensive to do a factory rebuild this is a HD not a metric
========================================================

'99's were twin cams first year. Evo's were still in the softails until '00.

Back