free website stats program how long is oil shelf life in the bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

how long is oil shelf life in the bike?

gunnut

Here you go,question as per thread title.If a bike does only a couple thousand miles on RED LINE,in all the holes,how long will the oil be ok (just sitting and occasionally riding a few miles ),or does time equate to mileage somehow???

A bike that is not ridden far or enough can accumulate acids in the oil as a result of incomplete combustion which will damage an engine.

It's advisable to service a bike such as you mention at least once a season.

I was taught many years ago that if within 12 months the vehicle had not done sufficient miles to require an oil change it should be done as a matter of course
when i was in the army all servicing was carried out on a time or mileage basis which ever comes first
with the tracked armoured vehicles due to the high cost per mile £150 for some models high mileages were only achieved during active deployments so most oil changes were done on the time scale
My sportster does not go very far these days but it gets new oil at the end of the season

Brian

Thanks guys,what kind of damage would be done to the engine?

Open ended question. It really would depend on the environment the bike was stored in. Extremes would be a climate controlled room vs outdoors.

The damage would be the corrosive effect of the acids in the oil on the softer metals in the engine.

Don't forget, I'm thinking everrybody is talking Engine oil... The Primary and the tranny are totally different And I would go by Mileage on them... 20,000 miles on the tranny and your Book on the prrimary..

The engine oil Will get moisture IF not run a full Heated ride every time out,,, SO the excuse needed to keep engine oil good= a full 30 minute ride At least each time out..

That will do nicely...:newsmile011:

Yes You just can't Beat Redline..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Short rides are tough on any motor let alone an air cooled motor, not getting up to and maintaining operating temperatures will cause the oil to have a lot of water vapors left in it, and the acids will not burn off

I agree with BUBBIE...engine oil change at the end of your riding season - no need to store bike with contaminated combustion byproducts sitting in places where the corrosive effects happen in hidden areas. But the tranny & primary do not suffer that abuse which should be fine, unless your bike got caught in rainstorms and the like...(we have had some nasty weather here in the US) in which I would change it as a precaution in this instance.

Back