free website stats program How long does it take to change a stator? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How long does it take to change a stator?

YOUR dealer service should be able to give you an EXACT $$ quote in writting.

That is what I would Do and Expect BEFORE taking bike in for the repair.

I Would Do the new belt and Save the old one for a spare.
Don't twist or Bend the old belt as IT will damage easily as any belt will...

50,000 is MORE than I ever got out of a belt. Usually a rock or ? damaged it long before the mileage did. I'd Replace it Now for a new one.

I have an Old belt saved (rock hole in the center of the belt took off Just to be on the safer side) in the shop for my sporty IF Needed. :D that is an EASY bike to replace the belt on.

The big bikes are,,,, that is ARE a pain.:56:

signed....BUBBIE

Hmmm I wonder what changed that you now have to remover the inner primary to change the stator? You did not have to do that in the past? Anyone know why you would have to now? ?

Signed - Bum

In order to get the rotor off. Some bikes (like mine) don't have all the clearance you need to slide the rotor off.

WOW! That was a dumb change on the part of the Motor Co.!! Stator job used to be under 2 hours wallowing around on the ground. If you have to pull the inner, it is a significant change in time!!

TQ

TQ you have to pull the rotor to get to the stator. The stator is behind and under the rotor.
Ken

TQ you have to pull the rotor to get to the stator. The stator is behind and under the rotor.
Ken

Yes, I know. I have had to change about half a dozen or more stators on my bikes in the past few years. The UC has had at least 3.

But neither of my bike require that the inner primary come off in order to pull the rotor off to get to the stator. That is what I was commenting on above. If HD has redesigned the inner primary so that the rotor can not be pulled without removing the inner primary, that is very poor engineering. A step back in my estimation.

TQ

Yes, I know. I have had to change about half a dozen or more stators on my bikes in the past few years. The UC has had at least 3.

But neither of my bike require that the inner primary come off in order to pull the rotor off to get to the stator. That is what I was commenting on above. If HD has redesigned the inner primary so that the rotor can not be pulled without removing the inner primary, that is very poor engineering. A step back in my estimation.

TQ

Indeed, seems to me the AMF shovels we had to remove the inners, there was a clearance problem there too

Indeed, seems to me the AMF shovels we had to remove the inners, there was a clearance problem there too

According to the HD 2008 service manual the inner primary has to be removed to perform this service. There may be a short cut that would not require the inner primary to be removed but it is not in the service manual

Back