free website stats program How is your Harley in cold weather? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How is your Harley in cold weather?

Took a 200 mile trip to visit a friend in the hospital, it was 19 degrees out when I left the house. The bike ran just fine.

I always let it warm up, especially as it gets colder. There are differant types of metal used on the motor and each one heats up and expands at differant rates. If you don't let the motor warm up at idle you risk blowing gaskets and seals.

Good rule of thumb is to let it warm up until you can feel heat with your had 2 inches away from the head.

At least you were riding to a hospital.. this way if you got frost bitten they could take care of you:newsmile100:.

No problem in the cold weather. She runs like a top. But I do have to say...she never gets below 40deg in my heated garage so she warms up pretty quick.
:cheers

Heated garage.... That's cheating:newsmile100::newsmile100:.

england weather is either wet mild or blue skys sun and freezing at this end of year.bike loves cold but i to leave a couple of minutes ticking over while i put on my jackets helmet etc.i seem to have more of a problem with cold hands than poor running cos some times on a run ive got to stop cos of chill blanes.( engine great for warming cold hands)

Cold is when you spit, it freezes and turns into an ice bomb before it hits the ground. Cool is when you start to think of putting on thermal drawers and you put your warm beer outside to cool faster. Chilly that's just the way I like my beer:cheers.

Ride out this morning was 20 degrees. took the Rg it did not complain a bit

You have some heated gear on when you ride. I haven't got enough fat on my boney frame to keep me warm at that temp for riding.:D I'd have a few layers on for riding at highway speeds at that temp. I've done it for the 15 minute ride to work but any farther and as soon as I get a chill I'm shivering for the rest of the day.

In the little over 2 years old bought new in 2008 has not even hiccuped once when starting or first pulling out cold. HD fuel injection is spot on.

Our last winter was the coldest for about 50 years. I rode in temps as low as -8 centigrade (about 17 Farenheit) - bike loved it and so did I....

Cold does not bother me, my bike seems to pull strong, I have no choice any way not owning a car PRICELESS:newsmile100:

Better in the cold than in the heat. Any internal combustion engine likes the cooler air than hot. Not so much for the temperature either. Colder temperatures effect many things such as air density, altitude adjustment, less humidity means less water in the air. All those things come into play when you talk cold air versus hot. So yes, definately better in cooler temperatures.

Ouch, one more reason I moved to Florida, I cant take the cold any more:s

Both I and the bike do ok in cold weather .. but I don't like it. Three more
years and I can retire to Florida. Was down looking around the Sebring
area a couple weeks ago.

RT

If like me ridding to work before sun comes up, watch ice in dips in roads & black ice...

Both I and the bike do ok in cold weather .. but I don't like it. Three more
years and I can retire to Florida. Was down looking around the Sebring
area a couple weeks ago.

RT

You will like it down there:s

Back