How is your Harley in cold weather?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by GimmeFuel, Oct 29, 2010.

1. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

Just as it reads above? How well does it run, etc?

2. Beer Hound

Beer Hound Member

She takes a while to warm up, but after that no problem from 0 on up to T shirt weather. Unless I leave the enricher out too long and foul the plugs.

South east Virginia (humid)
    93 Heritage w/stock motor
    Tear drop air cleaner
    Cycle shack Drags w/anti reversion cones

3. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

The nature of a 4cycle engine... it runs better after it warms up a bit. Take it easy on it for the first few miles, things are tight. :s

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Only ridded in low-mid 30's so far, but after a few minute warm-up she's good to go. No sputtering, pausing, hiccup, etc...that's the beauty of EFI. Now, my 05 XL1200 Sporty (carb) was a different animal. Pretty cold blooded for the 1st few miles, even after warm-up, and a few "hesitations" along the way when riding. I didn't have a tuner (Stage-1 & pipes) which would've helped a bit to fine tune these out. Overall - very pleased w/the 09 FLHX in hot & cold weather riding.

5. ultradoc

ultradoc Active Member

A little sluggish at first but after she gets warmed up not a problem

6. Trek

Trek Junior Member

My bike loves the cooler air. It even sounds a little different when I twist on the throttle, or maybe it's just my imagination. Either way it runs great.

7. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

The '94FLSTC carb. likes to be warmed up a couple of min. before we take off, than runs fine. The '05FLTRI FI settles right down after 10 or 20 sec., but I let it run a couple of min to warm up and it really likes the cool mornings. I guess we are talking relative temps. because here in FL. we don't get much like my northern friends. Now the rider is a different story, I don't run real well in the cold.

8. Porter

Porter Junior Member

Fine as far as mechanical/motor issues. If you are pushing it, temp does make a difference on tire grip, but most and my riding style it is not a factor. Only something to think about in are panic braking situation or evasive manuever.
    But, riding is much more about your senses, and the definition of "cold" is different for everyone. I think eveyone probably has the perfect temperture/speed/gear that they individually love to be riding it at various times of the year. For me and full leathers, it is about 40 degrees in Maryland.

I bring this up because how comfortable I feel impacts how I interpret the handling of the bike and how I react. When it feels my personal "perfect", I feel really tuned into the throttle and suspension. Sometimes perception is reality.:)

9. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

same here..o9 flh....

10. Duane53

Duane53 Active Member

My 04 Heritage runs fine in the cold. JUst the old guy sitting on it doesn't like the cold.