free website stats program How is Hi/Lo Beam switch affecting Speedo? | Harley Davidson Forums

How is Hi/Lo Beam switch affecting Speedo?

Monkymate

I just picked up a 1999 Softail Heritage Classic that has been sitting since 2000. It only had 1800 miles on it.

I did the following:
New Battery
Cleaned Carb
Flushed Oil tank and changed oil and filter
Cleaned Air Filter

Bike fired right up.

The problem was with the Speedometer. It worked intermittently. By that I mean on the first ride (<20 miles it would work up til 10 MPH and quit each time I would stop and it would do the same thing.)

Next ride was longer and after 18 miles it worked.

Next day same problem/

4th ride I noticed the headlight was out before the ride and I took the bike out to get the bulb. When I switched to High beams the Speedo worked! I played with it and switching back and forth on the Hi/Lo beam switch would turn off and on the Speedo. Huh? Went home and changed bulb, and cleaned and greased (dielectric grease) the switch. Now it appears the Speedo is working. A diagram I found for the wiring doesn't show anything in the connections that should cause this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Monkymate

Thought of grounds before I found the switch issue. Since servicing the switch fixed it I don't think a loose/corroded common ground point would be the problem. I am trying to figure out how the Speedo and that switch are related. Diagram did not help.

Possibility a common ground at fault.

First welcome to THE forum. I agree with Glider sounds like a grounding issue. The relationship between the switch and the speedo is the ground. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Bodeen

Actually voltage with headlight on (circuit breakers not fuse) it was 17.4 at 3500 and about 16 at idle. Way too high. Will be replacing the regulator.

Actually voltage with headlight on (circuit breakers not fuse) it was 17.4 at 3500 and about 16 at idle. Way too high. Will be replacing the regulator.

17.4 volts. Well I think you may have found your original problem. Just hope you don't now have any new ones.

Well I did have some other problems. Headlights and Spots burned out. (I went ahead and replaced all the bulbs), the battery fried but Walmart replaced it. Regulator purchased and replaced with new HD one and now it is 14.2 VDC most of the time. Added a Kury Voltage meter to the bike to monitor this.

We will see if there are any other problems. As of now it all works fine and is running good.

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have thought a VR would go bad just sitting there. They are electronic not the old relay types.

Monkymate

Back