free website stats program How Important ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

How Important ???

Hi Asian Nightser,

From what I was told by a HD service manager who was laided off at the time I meet him the first service is the most important. It is also very important you take your HD to a great dealer, and make sure they do the complete first service ( I was told some bad stories). I went to the HD dealer and talked with the service manager who went over everything with me on a checklist that they will be going over and doing to the motorcycle. Time involved to complete the first service 2 HRS. I should be ready for my first service the last week of June. I am looking forward to it can't wait... Hope this helps.

How important is it to have the first check up with the dealer, the cost is $300. Can someone give me some wisdom.

thanks
:57:

IMHO, it is kinda the luck of the draw. Depends who they assign YOUR baby to. Is it the kid fresh out of MMI school with a certificate that the ink is still wet on, or the old wrench who thinks of all the bikes he works on as his child. If you buy lottery tickets, take it in and see if you win.

On the other hand, if you have the time, inclination, and ability to work on the bike yourself, get the HD Factory Service Manual for your model and year and do the stuff yourself. You will get the satisfaction of knowing your bike better than anyone else, and you WILL know what was done without checking. Just keep your receipts and a record of what was done (maintenance log).

TQ

1+ for TQ's advice...if you are okay with your selected dealer and working on establishing a good relationship with them. Of course the first service is very important and you should know who is doing the work, make sure your mechanic signs off the work order, logs the start to finish time and returns any take offs (parts replaced if you install new items at the same time as the old and new parts are yours to inspect).

Also, as TQ suggested, get the HD service manual...learning to do the routine maintenance like fluid changes, taking off wheels (to have new tires installed and balanced) and adjusting, servicing and replacing parts yourself is very satisfying, makes you more "one" with your machine, especially as your comfort level doing the work grows.

I've always thought that paying the dealer for doing the service is a waste of time and money.
The service manual, which everyone should buy, tells you step by step how to do everything, and it's all fairly easy. Supplies for an oil change is less than half the price of a dealer service, and that's really the only materials you're paying for.
And, as mentioned, the more you work on your bike, the more you learn about it and the more ability you have to maintain it and service various problems that may arise or upgrades you want to do.

Also touched on above, it's somewhat common to get a bike back from a dealer service and stuff is wrong. A friend of mine brought a bike in for a tire change, and they put in an axle from another bike, so the wheel was slopping around!!
If you do it yourself, you know it's been done right.

Any problems you may have will be solved here - lots of knowledge. good luck!

Get the service manual and do what you are comfortable with. It shows when to do it. With that info available you don't need to do it at the same time. If you got an afternoon off, knock out 1 or 2 things at a time and get to know your bike:cheers

Back