free website stats program How hard is it to remove the exhaust? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How hard is it to remove the exhaust?

""Both front and rear exhaust flanges need to come loose so Pipes come out together to get at the cam-plate cover properly...

Bubbie......Are you saying that the pipes need to come off from both cylinder heads?

Yes I am sure that is what Bubbie is saying
rear one can be a wee bit fiddly to get tools on to the nuts but by using 3/8" square drive with wobble extensions should get in there ok
Best practise on reassembly is to is to put some high temp anti seize on the threads and double nut on each one

Brian

IDK...I must like removing exhaust from my bike...owned it almost three years and, if I decide to go w/MGS exhaust, I'll have removed 4-times (stock for ceramic coating, Rinehart, Bub-7 TD & MGS). Maybe I'm a VERY indecisive owner...??

IDK...I must like removing exhaust from my bike...owned it almost three years and, if I decide to go w/MGS exhaust, I'll have removed 4-times (stock for ceramic coating, Rinehart, Bub-7 TD & MGS). Maybe I'm a VERY indecisive owner...??

I think "Progressive" would be a better word!:s

BUBBIE I knew it was not the best video but it gives some idea of what the OP was going to find once he opens it up. Totally agree on not reusing the oil.

BUBBIE I knew it was not the best video but it gives some idea of what the OP was going to find once he opens it up. Totally agree on not reusing the oil.

At least the biker took the "Bull by the Horns" and did the job... Good V. for all to see.

Not the Most perfect HD mechanic but V. shows "You Can Do It Yourself".

Builds confidence by Viewing.. Good of you to post it Don...

I don't know if it was my eyes or did that oil look BLACK?

Maybe SIN-3 :guitar

signed....BUBBIE

PS
If the pipes are like the stock King pipes, Yes they Both need to come off as a Pair. They connect together as One Piece.

BUBBIE I may be overly cautious but to mee if I'm opening things up I'm going to be changing the oil and the filter. Since the OP has already found debris in the filter, after I get things back together I would take it for a short ride and warmup. I would then change the oil and the filter. Just me. And yes that oil should not have been reused. As we all know oil is the lifeblood of your engine.

exhaust can be a little tough to get off. i coat everything, including the ends of the pipes with never seize when i re-assemble. i coat the threads on the muffler clamps, gaskets, threads on head pipes and gaskets. i don't go crazy with the stuff and it does burn off and smoke. never had a problem getting things loose on the next go around. be sure to clean off the fingerprints on the heat shields with pledge before they get hot.

I had to remove the exhaust on mine at around 65K miles to fix a transmition leak. The studs were quiet rusty. Used a thread chaser on every stud and bolt along with penetrating oil before trying to break anything loose. Replaced nuts with new and also coated all threads with anti seize when done.

Back