How Fast?

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by dogdad, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dogdad

dogdad Active Member

Talking to someone tonight at dinner and he says they(his friends) ride hard. I asked what he meant and he said going 90mph or more riding. Little fast for me. More like 70-75,,,How about it? How fast do you guys get , and what's the fastest you rode? Not talking the rice burning ninjas hear,,,we all know what they do....

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

are ya talking long term speed or just cranking it up and backing down

3. dogdad

dogdad Active Member

Looooooooooooooong term.....riding

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I'm a boring old fart - typically cruise at speed limit plus 5 MPH. This keeps the law from noticing you and still keeps you moving along with traffic. Been known to exceed that a bit on lonely back roads but then I start thinking about deer and unrestrained dogs and I slow right back down. Had a rental Road King up over 90MPH for awhile northwest of Reno on a real straight two lane road.

5. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

65 to 75 is my comfort zone. Sometimes I'll get up to 80. I hit 90 once or twice but really don't feel the need to do it again. To me it's about how much time I spend on the bike and not really how much ground I cover.

6. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

85-90 then was in a hurry to get home about 3 hours of that

7. Black shadow

Black shadow Member

For the most part I like to take in the sights, so I usually do the speed limit or even a little under on the back roads. But I did have a chance to take the King out on a track and took it well over 100. just a quick run up and back off . I run with traffic on the inter states, 75 or 80.

8. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

limit +5 is my norm have been to 105 when passing a string of vehicles but thats rare.

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Hey Dogdad, rice burning rocket types do not all need to go 70-75+, it is the handling in a controlled environ that makes "spirited riding" fun. I ride only at an 8/10 pace max. when on my Katana...:newsmile058:

Granted my HD is quite happy on the freeway at 70-75+ but knowing I have loved ones at home...65 is right, riding leisurly at more like 6/10 pace, with torque at the ready, as being more important.:bigsmiley24:

10. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

It all depends on my mood,and if I'm riding two up or solo. I'll leave it at that:D