free website stats program How dumb can I be???? | Harley Davidson Forums

How dumb can I be????

Lawdog314

True confessions. Took my Ultra in for some warranty work on the electrical system. Nothing major, simple fix. Mechanic came out and said she's good to go, but "did you know your front and rear tire were WAY under inflated?" Ahh, no, looked round and black. Must be good! Front tire was 15 PSI, rear a little north of that but not much.

I last checked it sometime:dknow last season. A few days later, was sitting in the garage admiring my waxing of my baby, when I noticed how, shall we say, un-round the front tire was... on closer inspection, it was about as cupped as you can make a front tire! Wear marks, what freakin wear marks? They are gone! Off the center of the tire it is bald, and even has bulging in places!

Had it not been for a minor electrical short, there is no question in my tiny mind I would have suffered a MAJ0R front tire failure. The rear tire didn't suffer nearly as bad.

Well, a nearly $300 lesson but it could have been far worse. Already augured one Harley in, no desire to do it again.

Morale of the story my friends: Before your next ride, PLEASE, think of my dumb butt and CHECK Y0UR TIRE PRESSURE please! If you do, I'll feel a lot better about blowing 3 bills on a tire! :small3d005:

joe

Joe, don't feel bad. I just overlooked a rear bearing that was toast and know how sobering and dumb it makes you feel that you were riding an accident waiting to happen. It's made me be more diligent in giving the bike a good going over regularly like when i wash it. Since i remove my rear bags, seat etc. during the cleaning process, i can keep an eye out for and potential problems that may be lurking. Glad nothing major happened to you. I'd gladly take a bit of humility vs the other possible outcome. Ride safe.
WAP.gif

Thanks for the reminder. I have been getting really lax on the checks myself. Hop on and ride. :(

OK everyone repeat after me: I will check my air pressure before every ride! Just like a preflight check, your tires are the last contact between you and the road!!

Need to try to make it a routine habit with riding....I bet you will never let that happen again.....:s

For various reasons my bikes have not been out much this year however the tyre pressures have been checked prior to taking on the road every time they have been out

Brian

OK everyone repeat after me: I will check my air pressure before every ride! Just like a preflight check, your tires are the last contact between you and the road!!
Already do that. I bought a nice foot pump, so I don't have to spend time and money at fueling stations.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I was not good at that but my wife keep asking me to check her tires. That helps me to check her and mine. Need to have checklist on everything. Not easy...

Back