free website stats program how does a tuner effect the cat? | Harley Davidson Forums

how does a tuner effect the cat?

have read numerous threads on efi tuners.. ied's, tfi and pcv as just a few examples but no one mentions if running one with a stock exhaust will cause a short life span for the cat. since it's running richer wouldn't it soot up and clog the cat?

have read numerous threads on efi tuners.. ied's, tfi and pcv as just a few examples but no one mentions if running one with a stock exhaust will cause a short life span for the cat. since it's running richer wouldn't it soot up and clog the cat?

Very good question, I would guess it would set a code long before this

More fuel will cause the cat to run hotter, this could result in a melt down if it gets hot enough but the added heat may also burn things off to a point depending on how much hotter it runs.
Either way it would shorten the life expectancy and if you experience a lack of power while running a tuner, this would be an indication there was a problem with the cat.

wouldn't more fuel stop a lean mix which makes bike run hot? wasn't concerned about the temp as i would think it should actually drop at the expense of creating soot. hmmmm.... am i way off?

wouldn't more fuel stop a lean mix which makes bike run hot? wasn't concerned about the temp as i would think it should actually drop at the expense of creating soot. hmmmm.... am i way off?

These tractors are going to burn only so much fuel, the extra like Glider said could indeed cause a melt down in the cat, on cars I have seen them so hot you could almost see through them, I would change the pipes but keep the cats in case JMO

No Cat is short for catalyst other wise known as the third part ( ingredient). The material in the CAT reacts with the unburnt fuel ,exhaust and air to burn off unwanted emission. It works ok as long as it does not become clodded with soot or to much unburn fuel it that happens it begin to run hotter and hotter until fails. Of it plugs up and restricts exhaust flow causing other engine parts to fail.
Of course this is the short version but covers it pretty much.

Great explanation Smitty!

thanks... that explains a lot... reacts with fuel to help burn it off. makes sense.. so in short if i want my bike to run cooler and pretty much stay stock i still have to remove the cat and get a tfi.

firm believer in keeping spare parts..lol have a 70 xlch boattail i can't get a stock exhaust for. so i bought a complete takeoff exhaust from a road king for 50 and a complete exhaust from a flhx for 60. includes heat shields and cats so i'm good for a bit. got the roadking exhaust in case i wanted the dual look. the roadking hadn't even been run when removed.. nice and shiny. no bluing.. the other only has a 1000 miles on it.. looks almost new as well.

Back