free website stats program How do you test crank sensor? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you test crank sensor?

Does anyone know how to test if the crank sensor is gone on a 2002 fatboy. No fire to plugs,someone told me crank sensor possibly went out.

Does anyone know how to test if the crank sensor is gone on a 2002 fatboy. No fire to plugs,someone told me crank sensor possibly went out.

That in it's self is NOT a sure fire way(clue) but I would bet it is out....

You have the age bike that had a lot of sensor problems.... I had a 2000 FXDS and the crank sensor(a magnet sensor) that counts the BUMPS on crank shaft until the 2 missing ones pass below it. then it starts over and counts..
This counting shows the electric giss-moes where the pistons are in relationship to the fire at the plug... very critical in the harley...

Trouble is when IT goes out AND you don't know how to check for the codes it threw....You will have to guess.. But if you look at the codes it may help.... SO

If you push the clearing button on the odometer HOLD it In then turn on the key... leave key on, it should be in the code mode.... You can click(mileage re-set button) thru a set 8 or 10 positions that may list different ###'s that will clue you to if it is good or not.
write down the numbers and letters that come on after each click... Go all the way thru the click positions and once again to recheck....

report back and HELP will be here...OR

"Self help" has a CODE CHECK that will explain what the #'s mean.

The crank sensor is unforgiving in that mine always goes out when I'm miles out on a run then I need a trailer to get me home...

when it gets bad it may back-fire , run for a bit then quit.. Showing NO fire a the plugs is a partial clue..

signed....BUBBIE

When my cam sensor went bad the magnet was very weak compared to the magnet on the crank pos. sensor. You do not have a cam sensor so I just mentioned this so you may check the strenght of the magnet.
kemo

You'll find the answers to many questions in the self help area for the looking...

Crank Sensor (CKP) - Harley Davidson Community

Well Glider you should be happy to know: I found MY problem..:

As with all sensors, AGE can effect their performance and this may be a gradual decrease until one day you realize that it just isn't running as good as it use to ......

Now that is fitting and should be placed at the doctors office..

(CKP) is a good published report you have on self help, AS It fits Many applications.... MINE included..
Thanks!
signed....BUBBIE

Check resistance across the two terminal and compare to known good one (call hd dealer for spec?.)

Well Glider you should be happy to know: I found MY problem..:

As with all sensors, AGE can effect their performance and this may be a gradual decrease until one day you realize that it just isn't running as good as it use to ......

Now that is fitting and should be placed at the doctors office..

(CKP) is a good published report you have on self help, AS It fits Many applications.... MINE included..
Thanks!
signed....BUBBIE

Glad you found it useful.:D

signed....GLIDER

Hey Bubbie,finally got around to check code mode on fatboy. These are the codes it showed in order. d01CLr,d02CLr,d03CLr,d04CLr,d05CLr,d06CLr,d07CLr,d08set,d09CLr,d10CLr,PPU,82883.Can you please tell me what these codes mean?

Hey Bubbie,finally got around to check code mode on fatboy. These are the codes it showed in order. d01CLr,d02CLr,d03CLr,d04CLr,d05CLr,d06CLr,d07CLr,d08set,d09CLr,d10CLr,PPU,82883.Can you please tell me what these codes mean?

BUBBIE's sleeping! :lolrolling

They mean that the codes are clear (CLr) and the other is a part number. Nothing to worry about at all.

Back