free website stats program How do you ride the twisties? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you ride the twisties?

Yea! +1 on the BIGGER one! Once we start with the cranks, we're talking serious money....and time!

Maybe if enough come back and bite them in the butt, they will change the design back to the old one. Never a problem with them.

We got loads of hills here in Devon.I always break to 50,drop a cog,intermitently use the brakes,ie when the engine starts to race a bit,and then let the brakes off.It stops both the engine and trans working too hard,and helps keep your pads a little cooler depending on the gradient of course.

Well Glider, for now I guess I'll just R&W! (ride & wait) and hope for the best. Agree 100% on your statement about the old cranks.
This sounds like some engineering and bean counter ploy to "save the MOCO big money"

What about the EVO engines? I have an 08 XL883. Is engine braking on steep grades instead of using the brakes ok for me, or will it bust my cams too?

i use engine braking always have and always will, it the crank fails or causes excessive wear to other components its has warranty for that.
I ride twisties all the time although not mountain twisties, but i rarely get out of 3rd using that wave of torque HD's are famous for.

Ditto!

What about the EVO engines? I have an 08 XL883. Is engine braking on steep grades instead of using the brakes ok for me, or will it bust my cams too?

Evo cranks are much better than the TC cranks. It's OK to do but just not in excess. Much cheaper and easier to replace brake pads IMO.

As far as the warranty, I wouldn't own a bike that the dealer had to split the cases to replace the crank.

The twisties of WV are a lot of fun, Beautiful country! I think the only way to handle them is shifting down. On Some turns I saw my butt pass me.

So, can I compression brake with a 1931 Harley VL ? :D

Front_sz_800.jpg

You Tube Video:

YouTube - 1931 Harley in the Corners, Palomar

Back