free website stats program How do you remove microfiber that is burned onto the exhaust?? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you remove microfiber that is burned onto the exhaust??

ironmark

A microfiber towel touched my rear exhaust pipe when it was hot and melted immediately. I tried Blue Job but it does not seem to work. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove this material from the heat shield without scratching?

wife recently melted her boot heel onto the exhaust pipe. Different material, but same concept. As Smitty said, let it cool, it may need some friction but it should come off with a good dose of Mothers or some similar polish. Don't make the mistake I made and get impatient and take a screwdriver to it...needless to say I left several very small scratches, not noticable but I KNOW they are there. :(

Thanks Smitty! The Blue Job took some of the lighter stuff off from around the edges but it wouldn't do anything to the main area. I covered the engine and used some Easy Off oven cleaner, I sprayed it on and let it set for about 10 min and then I could scratch the microfiber off with my thumb nail. I couldn't get it all off the first time so I had to put the Easy Off on again and do some more scratching but it all came off the 2nd time. Then I polished it up with the Blue Job, the thumb nail didn't leave any scratches.

When something has melted on i have in the past heated it with a gas torch and scraped it off with some soft wood
And i had to buy wife new boots on the way

Brian

Some on the forum use a nickel to remove/scrape it off (softer than chrome finish) and it works pretty good. I didn't believe it until I tried it, now I do! Then shine it up with some pledge.

Four aught (0000) steel wool works also. That the finest grade of steel wool, I use it on bumpers etc, anything chrome or stainless. Works great on removing bugs from exhaust pipes, and you don't have to rub hard or long.
wilks3
:USA

Easy Off oven cleaner. Don't get it on the paint!!

The material got on the exhaust right behind the rear cylinder so I had to protect the engine because it is a blacken motor. You want to protect everything when using the Easy Off. I am not saying that this is a good way to remove burned on material from the exhaust but it worked for me. I did a forum search and came up empty before I posted.

Back